Chat Archiving

Many members in the chats say things that they never want to be printed or saved to a drive, this way they can speak freely on sensitive matters.

Kim Lee requested that no archiving was to be done of his chat and I assured him that there would be none.

I have very recently realized that a member here did archive, copy and distribute this special guest chat.

I do apologize to Mr. Lee that this has taken place.

If this member is present on any chats, special or not, he may be archiving very personal discussions.

He has carried this out in a clandestine manner that raises questions as to motive.

I personnaly am concerned about this activity.

I would ask that the member performing this clandestine activity reveal himself and explain his actions, motivations. I do know who you are.

CP

Last edited:
creeping panther said:
Many members in the chats say things that they never want to be printed or saved to a drive, this way they can speak freely on sensitive matters.

Kim Lee requested that no archiving was to be done of his chat and I assured him that there would be none.

I have very recently realized that a member here did archive, copy and distribute this special guest chat.

If this member is present on any chats, special or not, he may be archiving very personal discussions.

He has carried this out in a clandestine manner that raises questions as to motive.

I would ask that the member performing this clandestine activity reveal himself and explain his actions, motivations. I do know who you are.

CP
Thanks CP for the information. Do the moderators know who the person is? It seems like this type of clandestine behavior would warrant a permanent banishment from this site.

iCountNTrack

creeping panther said:

CP
I am not sure who are you tlaking about aas i was not in the chat room at the time. Feel free to discuss it this over pm

aslan

creeping panther said:

CP
Whether we want it or not, anyone can archive anything that transpires in the chat room for his or her own personal use, or for other, sometimes, nefarious reasons. Asking people not to will not stop it; in fact, only those who have no bad intentions would heed such a request anyway. We need to be very careful who is allowed to attend these sessions, especially by creating new rules for participation, similar to requirements for use of PM privileges. We can try to minimize such activity; it may be impossible to wholly eliminate it. At least it sounds like the offending member did it with good intentions and the session probably was not compromised in any way, or else you probably would not have heard about it in the first place. just my two cents.

The only guarantee that can (and should) be made is that the administrator of the chat room is not allowing the chat to be automatically and secretly logged by the server. That is dirty pool, and I once had a big fight on an unrelated forum over this that almost led to legal action.

But there is no way to prevent a user present in chat from saving everything on his screen. It's just like talking to someone on the phone- they could be recording and you have no way of knowing. Advise that everyone consider this when chatting- unless you are 100% certain no one present is a jerk then do not write anything you could not afford to be recorded and recited.

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Copy and paste are disabled in chat to make copying difficult, but that doesn't make it impossible of course.

SleightOfHand

KenSmith said:
Copy and paste are disabled in chat to make copying difficult, but that doesn't make it impossible of course.
This is a new feature? Pasting has never been allowed, but I have been able to copy.

PS: Nope, I can still copy.

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Oops! Very confusing options in the control panel.
Copy, cut and paste were disabled but only from the message input box.
Copy worked fine in the main chat display.

I've fixed it now.
You CAN now copy and paste in the input box, but CANNOT copy from the chat display.

SleightOfHand

KenSmith said:

I've fixed it now.
You CAN now copy and paste in the input box, but CANNOT copy from the chat display.
Oh thank god. Not being able to paste into the input box was so frustrating :laugh: I had a few occasions where I had to type things like youtube links, where part of the address is composed of random uppercase and lowercase letters.

muppet

KenSmith said:

I've fixed it now.
yay! copy/paste! ah it feels like my iphone os just got an update :)

aslan

SleightOfHand said:
Oh thank god. Not being able to paste into the input box was so frustrating :laugh: I had a few occasions where I had to type things like youtube links, where part of the address is composed of random uppercase and lowercase letters.
Thank you for that.

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
SleightOfHand said:
Oh thank god. Not being able to paste into the input box was so frustrating
No doubt! I feel really guilty about this because I actually stressed out over deciding to turn it off originally. Finally I decided that the protection aspect was worth the obvious downside.

Now it turns out that I subjected everyone to the frustration without any benefit at all! Ouch!

At least it's fixed now. I promise to do an extra good deed for atonement. :)

Katweezel

KenSmith said:
No doubt! I feel really guilty about this because I actually stressed out over deciding to turn it off originally. Finally I decided that the protection aspect was worth the obvious downside.

Now it turns out that I subjected everyone to the frustration without any benefit at all! Ouch!

At least it's fixed now. I promise to do an extra good deed for atonement. :)
Your confession and righteous intention has been heard in high places. You may consider yourself among the forgiven. Go forth and sin no more my son. :angel:

aslan

Katweezel said:
Your confession and righteous intention has been heard in high places. You may consider yourself among the forgiven. Go forth and sin no more my son. :angel:
Katweezel, get outta here! :laugh:

WRX

KenSmith said:

I've fixed it now.

This will make it less convenient for anyone to copy chat sessions, but it could still be done with screen captures, or maybe in other ways. There's no practical way to prevent information given out in chat sessions from being redistributed, and people should recognize this. It's strictly on the honor system. But I wholeheartedly agree that the site should not archive chats. That would chill discussion of topics that people might not want to put on the message boards, but are willing to bring up in chats with a limited number of participants.