Chat lurkers

iCountNTrack

Extending the idle time

i think the best solution would be to simply extend the idle time to something like 30 mins. I think that is gives plenty to move your mouse on the chat screen or click a keystroke. In any case, please note that there is a limit on the number of lines from previous messages where you cannot see the older messages when you scroll up.

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
iCountNTrack said:
i think the best solution would be to simply extend the idle time to something like 30 mins.
I contacted tech support with the chat software, and was informed that the chat idle timeout is currently hard-coded in the server. They did acknowledge that this is a frequent request and configurable idle timeout is being considered as a future change.

IM Feature

ExhibitCAA said:
I don't think Autologout is the answer, unless perhaps Autologout applied to anyone less than a Senior Member, or perhaps Autologout in effect whenever there are 6 or more people in the room.

There is a nice benefit to NOT having the autologout--namely, the shill effect. Someone can sit around multitasking, but logged into the chat room so that if anyone else does show up, a chat can occur. Staying logged into the chat is a way to say, "I'm here to chat if someone wants to." Many good, spontaneous chats have occurred with ultimately many participants due to this shill effect. I don't think that this benefit should be eliminated due to one suspicious apple in the bushel.
If BJINFO had a site IM feature it would be very dynamic for instigating live chat. THAT is what is missing - between the chatroom and the PM, the missing 4th leg of the comm stool is IM. zg