Choosing Games: DD vs 6D using COBJ and $5k bankroll

KewlJ

Nynefingers, you seem a little TOO obsessed with CVCX and optimal spread to me. CVCX is only a tool. And Optimal? What is optimal? There are several things that play into that. Every cent you move away from the so-called optimal spread makes it more and more sub optimal. No body is playing those numbers to the penny. As soon as you don't and round off....sub optimal.

What about the dollar are you rounding to the dollar? Are you betting amounts like $39, or $217? Because if you are, you are even further away from optimal taking into consideration how much slowing down the game for these pay offs costs.

There is also the issue of heat and attention. And they are not necessarily the same. I want to avoid both. Any kind of odd wager (often called rainbow wager) draws attention. Not necessarily heat, but attention as the pit may need to watch to be sure the dealer is making a correct payoff on a blackjack at say $39 or $23.

So who is to say what's optimal? If your optimal wagers can slow the game down to where the win rate is much lower than rounding the numbers fairly significantly. I mean playing green to black, I am rounding everything off to green and except for my minimum wager, I am rounding off to $50 to keep the game moving as quick as possible. This gets to be pretty far away from optimal, but my win rate from a quick moving game will be higher than if I played optimal or rounded less. Not to mention heat-wise it is much better for the game to keep moving. I am exposed when the game slows or stops (like for odd payout) when I have my bigger bets out.

So optimal? I don't think it is so cut and dry as what CVCX says. You have to find a balance and CVCX is just a tool to help do that.

KewlJ

KewlJ said:
Are you betting amounts like $39, or $217? Because if you are, you are even further away from optimal taking into consideration how much slowing down the game for these pay offs costs.
Ok, well I didn't phrase this right or shall we say optimally? (weak joke). Instead of "even further away from optimal", I should have said something like your optimal spread is producing a lower win rate.

Nynefingers

KJ, you are, of course, correct that betting mathematically optimally is not always the only consideration. For someone in your circumstances in particular, your betting is not primarily constrained by your bankroll. In that situation, of course you will do things a bit differently, and rightly so. That’s not the OP’s situation. He is very much bankroll constrained. He’s asking for betting advice where the differences are not minor. He would grow his bankroll much quicker by utilizing CVCX than by doing what he is doing here now. And the cost of the software is much less than the cost of losing his bankroll by accidentally playing at a high risk of ruin, which it seems he was.

I also certainly didn’t mean to suggest making bets down to the penny. If I implied that, I apologize. CVCX can be set to simplify bets. Maybe I shouldn’t have used the word optimum, but the software will certainly get him a hell of a lot closer than just winging it, which was really my point. That will result in the OP having more success, which is really all I was trying to convey.