Circus Circus Reno's Shuffle-up policy

Martin Gayle

The Circus Circus in Reno offers 3:2 single deck games $5-$500.

If you increase your bet by more than double they will shuffle up as per house policy. Circus Circus is a dive mind you, they will call out "Green action" -- yuck. CBJN doesn't mention this so perhaps it is a new rule.

On a Saturday night I blatantly spread 1-20 on a jumping table with drunk college kids. I thought they might be enough camo. I think I had snuck a couple big bets in buth the dealer was a relic and knowingly said, "If you are going to bet that way I am only going to deal one round." I left shortly after.

I went back the next day to see what was up. Played very low stakes this time, spreading from $5 - $20 just to see what was up. If I would jump from $5-$15 they would shuffle automatically, there was myself and another player, one round dealt. The dealer said it is house policy so again I left shortly after.

Thought about this 'house policy' right away with the large spreads there has to be a way to take advantage of this shuffle up rule. We came up with something along the lines of 2 players playing together, one plays big off the top, say $100 or $200 bets. The other plays the minimum always. If the count goes BAD after the first hand the small player triples his bet incurring the dealer to shuffle. If the count goes good, the big player parlays or spreads to x2 hands or other such strategy to get more $$ in action. This way the BP only has bad money off the top and may look like a play-all plop.

I feel that Circus Circus' policy is lazy and overly paranoid. I would really like to turn this around to bite them. Not looking to make a big score, just really to spite them. Any suggestions here?

Last edited:
Martin Gayle said:

Thought about this 'house policy' right away with the large spreads there has to be a way to take advantage of this shuffle up rule. We came up with something along the lines of 2 players playing together, one plays big off the top, say $100 or $200 bets. The other plays the minimum always. If the count goes BAD after the first hand the small player triples his bet incurring the dealer to shuffle. If the count goes good, the big player parlays or spreads to x2 hands or other such strategy to get more $$ in action. This way the BP only has bad money off the top and may look like a play-all plop.

I feel that Circus Circus' policy is lazy and overly paranoid. I would really like to turn this around to bite them. Not looking to make a big score, just really to spite them. Any suggestions here?
Owww... How cool is that? Good idea Martin, you could probably pull it off a few times I guess. The only time anyone is going to notice is if a pit critter gets wise to you and a buddy conveniently always at the table that's getting slammed, but it will probably take a while.

I don't think they would just back you off if they catch you teamplaying them though, it will more than likely be a trespass x2 for you guys, but I love the system. If you can get a few different people to work it and stagger them so the same ones aren't always the ploppy or the heavy, you may be on to something. Kind of creative forcing shuffles until you get a good count, lol. I guess it beats shuffle tracking.

bj bob

Martin Gayle said:

If you increase your bet by more than double they will shuffle up as per house policy. Circus Circus is a dive mind you, they will call out "Green action" -- yuck. CBJN doesn't mention this so perhaps it is a new rule.

On a Saturday night I blatantly spread 1-20 on a jumping table with drunk college kids. I thought they might be enough camo. I think I had snuck a couple big bets in buth the dealer was a relic and knowingly said, "If you are going to bet that way I am only going to deal one round." I left shortly after.

I went back the next day to see what was up. Played very low stakes this time, spreading from $5 - $20 just to see what was up. If I would jump from $5-$15 they would shuffle automatically, there was myself and another player, one round dealt. The dealer said it is house policy so again I left shortly after.

You sure picked one of the lousiest houses to play in Reno. Waste of time unless you can track down one of the older Oriental dealers that have been there a while and deal much better pen. Just walk across the promenade upstairs and head over to the Legacy or the El Dorado, where the time is much better spent and the atmosphere much more pleasant.

jimbiggs

Martin Gayle said:

Wow. Very cool idea. I don't know what the heat is like there, but you may not need your big player to vary his bets much at all. Betting black, he'll be closely watched anyways. If you were to try it, I would suggest keeping the sessions very short.

ortango

bj bob said:
You sure picked one of the lousiest houses to play in Reno. Waste of time unless you can track down one of the older Oriental dealers that have been there a while and deal much better pen. Just walk across the promenade upstairs and head over to the Legacy or the El Dorado, where the time is much better spent and the atmosphere much more pleasant.
Definately better atmosphere at Legacy and El Dorado, but the kids love Circus of course. Last year when I went to Circus they were pretty cool, let me spread about 1-6 or 8 most of the time, except one hispanic dealer who wouldn't let me double my bet without shuffling. At El Dorado, I was backed off in 30 mins by the Shift Manager. I was only betting 10-30$ but I got way too "lucky" on the Lucky Ladies.

Cardcounter

In beat the dealer they had a section about shuffle ups. If the dealer will shuffle up when you increase your bet, bet big when the count goes negative make it at least 3 times your last bet and see what happens. When the count is neutral or goes positive make the same bet. You never have bad decks if he is poser and doesn't and shuffles up based on your action.

Plus why would you play at crappy circus circus when you could play at the much nicer Silver Legacy?