Deleted

LC Larry

Badbeat said:
I’m asking about 8,8 v 10. I don’t see how soft hands have anything to do with it.
But you stipulated H17 in your OP.

As for the Wizards numbers, if I remember correctly, they are based on the overall amount possible in action. So the -.475 is based on total action. Just because you add more money, you dont double his figures. I'm sure DonS will provide better and exact reasons soon.

LC Larry

Like I said, Don will stop by at some point and give you the exact answer.

As to the H17 part, with a dealer 10 up, H17 is irrelevant. With a dealer Ace up, it's QUITE relevant! Big difference.

DSchles

Badbeat said:
Can someone please explain to me why in a 6D, H17, DA2, DAS, LS game basic strategy is to NOT surrender 8,8 v 10. Why would you split the hand and lose on average 47.5% of twice your original bet when you could lose only 50% of just your original bet? The same goes for 8,8 vs your other basic strategy surrenders. Why split rather than surrender? It’s this chart that makes me question this?https://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/appendix/9/6dh17r4/
Al the e.v.s that you read are percentages of the ORIGINAL bet. When you split, the fact that you bet twice as much is accounted for. So, if you lose, say, a total of 47.5%, that's 28.75% on each of the two split hands. (Note, you can confirm this by looking at the values for hitting a hard 8 -- say 6,2 -- vs. dealer's 10.)

So, splitting is better than losing 50% for surrendering, because, when all the smoke clears, you lose less by not surrendering.

Clear?

Don

Good Guy

In addition to above, if you are counting cards, at +1 you should actually surrender rather than splitting. Some of the benefit of splitting also comes from the potential for doubling if you get 3 on one of the 8s.