Does PowerSim kill?

Canceler

I posted a question on the PowerSim forum at Blackjack Forum Online one full week ago, and never got any response. In fact, the last post previous to mine was dated 3/17/06. I can only conclude that they're all dead.

Someone had provided a KO version of the PowerSim simulator, so I was checking that out. Along with the KO version came a sample result file done with S17 for 6-deck, which showed +EV occurring at -4, as you would expect.

When I ran a couple of sims using H17, however, it showed +EV occurring at -3 or -2, instead of the expected -4.

Somebody please tell me that there is something wrong either with PowerSim or the way I was using it. (I don't want to hear I've been overbetting at -4 all these years!) Thanks!

I dont use it because its DOS... anyone? zg

Canceler said:
I posted a question on the PowerSim forum at Blackjack Forum Online one full week ago, and never got any response. In fact, the last post previous to mine was dated 3/17/06. I can only conclude that they're all dead.

Someone had provided a KO version of the PowerSim simulator, so I was checking that out. Along with the KO version came a sample result file done with S17 for 6-deck, which showed +EV occurring at -4, as you would expect.

When I ran a couple of sims using H17, however, it showed +EV occurring at -3 or -2, instead of the expected -4.

Somebody please tell me that there is something wrong either with PowerSim or the way I was using it. (I don't want to hear I've been overbetting at -4 all these years!) Thanks!

OPPC Responds!

Subject : Re: PowerSim Question
posted by OPPC on 05-04-2006 06:31
BJforumonline

Sorry for the delay, I am just coming back from a long business trip and I found the question.

There is nothing wrong with the latest version of PowerSim but if you ran the sample I posted with the modifications for running KO it is possible that there is a mistake, specially if you ran it with index play or ENHC option.

I will make the necessary changes to the latest version and re post them ASAP

I think ETfan was working in a version to run unbalanced counts, but don't know when it will be ready.
-----------------
Subject : PowerSim Question
posted by zengrifter on 05-04-2006 00:12
I'm reposting this question here (below) because the querant posted his question at blackjackinfo.com after he waited a week without a response in the PowerSim forum here. Please, anyone? zg
--------------------
Canceler writes:

Does PowerSim kill?

Penetration? Sample size?

Subject : Penetration? Sample size?
posted by RogerHarris on 05-07-2006 18:37
BJForum.PSProject

You didn't mention the penetration or the sample size, and when you're trying it determine the key for an unbalanced count, both are important. You need a large sample size because you need accurate numbers to tell precisely the lowest running count that has a positive advantage, so your results could just be caused by not running enough rounds in each sim. (If you ran 100 million rounds, for example, you would have only had a few million hands at the counts in question, which won't give you the accuracy you need.) Penetration is important because any given running count correlates to different advantages in different parts of the shoe, and you're looking for an average over that part of the shoe that's actually played.

For example, in a 6-deck game with H17, the cumulative advantage for KO count -4 is positive if the penetration is up to 70%, so that's the correct key, but if the penetration is 75%, the cumulative advantage for -4 is slighty negative. (This is not the case with S17, but the additional disadvantage of H17 does make a difference.) But using -3 as the key instead of -4 would mean missing out on some positive advantages earlier in th shoe, so it would probably produce a lower SCORE. This is why some KO players like to "fudge" the keys a little as they get close to the cut card.

Canceler

Thanks, zg.

You monitor everything, don't you? Between the BJ message boards, and finding stuff to put in Zen Zone II, and playing blackjack, and doing whatever else you do, I don't see where you have time to sleep!

E-town-guy

Canceler said:
Thanks, zg.

You monitor everything, don't you? Between the BJ message boards, and finding stuff to put in Zen Zone II, and playing blackjack, and doing whatever else you do, I don't see where you have time to sleep!
Or time for the ladies.

I was going to say lucky ladies but thought that was a bit too corny.

Canceler said:
Thanks, zg.

When I'm not playing I work at my desk and these are my breaks. zg