Double Deck True Count

When playing DD, I use HiLo. Converting to true count can be done several ways, such as dividing by 1/2 deck, 1/4 deck or ????

What do you recommend in getting true count in this situation?

Thanks!

Dog Hand

Sushiguy said:
When playing DD, I use HiLo. Converting to true count can be done several ways, such as dividing by 1/2 deck, 1/4 deck or ????

What do you recommend in getting true count in this situation?

Thanks!
Sushiguy,

Just to be clear, for HiLo the divisor is ALWAYS the whole decks unseen. When The G Man says "quarter deck", that means you express the undealt decks using quarter-deck accuracy, but you still divide by whole decks: it's just a fraction.

For example, if 65 cards (so one-and-a-quarter decks) are unseen and the RC is +2, the TC is +2/1.25 = +1.6, which is usually truncated to give a TC of +1.

If you instead divided by quarter-decks, then you have 5 quarter-decks unseen, so you would say the TC is +2/5 = +0.4. See the difference?

Hope this helps!

Dog Hand

Dog Hand said:
Sushiguy,

Just to be clear, for HiLo the divisor is ALWAYS the whole decks unseen. When The G Man says "quarter deck", that means you express the undealt decks using quarter-deck accuracy, but you still divide by whole decks: it's just a fraction.

For example, if 65 cards (so one-and-a-quarter decks) are unseen and the RC is +2, the TC is +2/1.25 = +1.6, which is usually truncated to give a TC of +1.

If you instead divided by quarter-decks, then you have 5 quarter-decks unseen, so you would say the TC is +2/5 = +0.4. See the difference?

Hope this helps!

Dog Hand
Thanks Dog Hand

Assuming you use HI Lo, what works best for you in calculating TC?

For simplicity....

Some tell me if more than on deck left, divide by 2. If one deck or less remains, divide by 1

Your thoughts are very much appreciated!!

The G Man

Now it's a different thing. Your accuracy (the way you estimate the number of deck(s) left) is rounded to the whole deck if your divisor are 1, 2, 3, etc.
If they said so, it means they round deck estimation to full deck. You can do bettor with minimum training and use 1/2 deck precision.

Dog Hand

Sushiguy said:
Thanks Dog Hand

Assuming you use HI Lo, what works best for you in calculating TC?

For simplicity....

Some tell me if more than on deck left, divide by 2. If one deck or less remains, divide by 1

Your thoughts are very much appreciated!!
Sushiguy,

When I play DD, I estimate the remaining decks to the nearest quarter-deck, mainly because I sidecount Aces (I use an Ace-neutral count), and on average each quarter-deck has 1 Ace.

If the RC is +3 and 1.25 decks remain, I multiply +3*0.8 = +2.4 and then truncate to +2.

Hope this helps!

Dog Hand