first 200 hours counting cards

are you playing a s17 and late surrender 8 deck or 6 deck? is your min bet 10$ and top bet 100$? so your down 30ish max bets? man thats a drop in the bucket compared to Kewljason who blows through 3 grand hourly but yea i couldn't stand to lose 7 grand as you did and claw back my way to just down 3k its more remarkable the house didn't block your action if they are counting along with you on norm site Sands pa claims to be a sweaty shop as is Parx and i heard Smallcap got banned in sugarhouse in philly

its no big suprise man id quit while your ahead as many as did on this site before us...

It's disappointing because this whole time I have been told that if I do my due diligence and work hard I will be awarded for my efforts but that hasn't been the case.

DoubleOnHard20

If you always bet full Kelly, there's a 1/3 chance that you lose half of your bankroll before your bankroll doubles. Betting more or less than full Kelly is inefficient in the long-run. Full Kelly has a 0% risk of ruin. Only the table limits and playing through bad counts increase your risk of ruin. Always bet full Kelly to maximize the rate your bankroll grows in the long-run while having no risk of ruin.

I don't know how much playing through bad counts or table limits increase your risk of ruin when betting full Kelly, but you can use risk averse indices with full Kelly betting to help minimize risk of ruin. It's also more efficient when combined with Kelly betting.

KewlJ

jupitor88 said:
man thats a drop in the bucket compared to Kewljason who blows through 3 grand hourly
3 grand hourly? that is about 6 max bets. Yeah I have those swings in an hour. I have those swings in 10 minutes. What is your point? Some of you trolls are the dumbest MFers on the face of the earth. No wonder you can't win. :rolleyes:

DoubleOnHard20

KewlJ said:
3 grand hourly? that is about 6 max bets. Yeah I have those swings in an hour. I have those swings in 10 minutes. What is your point? Some of you trolls are the dumbest MFers on the face of the earth. No wonder you can't win. :rolleyes:
I can lose my entire 401k in 30 seconds. What is your point?

Hell'nBack

JohnCrover said:
It's disappointing because this whole time I have been told that if I do my due diligence and work hard I will be awarded for my efforts but that hasn't been the case.
Awarded doesn't work in your sentence. But rewarded does.

Hey, I don't know if you're talking to me but things are going much better. On a nice winning streak and up about 10k on the current bank that started around last month. I'm about 2 or 3k above EV.
Got a little bit of heat once but no backoffs. I have gotten more street smart when it comes to avoiding dicey situations.

JohnCrover said:
Hey, I don't know if you're talking to me but things are going much better. On a nice winning streak and up about 10k on the current bank that started around last month. I'm about 2 or 3k above EV.
Got a little bit of heat once but no backoffs. I have gotten more street smart when it comes to avoiding dicey situations.
John, a while back you mentioned to me in a private message that you got backed off in the place that has the best blackjack in the country. Now you are saying you had no back offs. Which is it?

John, from what I read previously you had huge negative variance but now you’re up 10k? What are you betting? and types of games? I may be missing something but it seems pretty extreme for such a small BR.

Fenix

@Badbeat , JohnCrover had some horrible variance his first 300 or so hours of counting cards. Many of us have bad streaks like that from time to time, he was just unlucky to get a bad streak at the beginning of his career. A few of my friends and myself have tested JohnCrover and his game is solid. We said to just get the hours and things will turn around, and they have. It's been mostly a long slow grind upwards, but his last 100 hours have ran quite well. He's perhaps around EV lifetime and above EV on his current bankroll.

@AlphaCentauri, larger swings happen when your RoR is high. Larger swings also happen when you have a larger bankroll. Now that he's won a fair bit, his RoR is much smaller. He's doing great and becoming quite the counter :). He has had a few back offs, but none on this bankroll.

You're doing great JohnCrover. Keep up the solid work :).

Last edited:
@Fenix Oh of course. I know all too well. I’ve played at all chip levels. Definitely seemed like a much bigger swing than normal with the BR and RoR listed, though. I’m curious to know the types of games and spread if possible.

Badbeat said:
I stopped using cover and started spreading 1-60 on DD
60-1 spread at 2D?
Were you of the opinion that a 60 to 1 spread at DD would be more profitable than say a 25 to 1 spread on the same game?

Just curious, was your max bet the same or different when you increased to 60 to 1?