first trip to AC need advice

FLASH1296

Unsolicited advice.

I would suggest learning a stronger count.
BJ is a tough enough game to beat, and it
has gotten harder over recent years.
Level One Unbalanced Counts like "Red Seven"
are acceptable for recreational players
and beginners who are only playing shoe games.
But if you are serious about BJ ...

You obviously have Blackbelt in Blackjack
Look ahead to the ZEN count is my suggestion.

BUZZARD

Flash I dont wanna ruffle your feathers, or your fur if you are that gorilla in your pic- but whereas your posts ooze with wisdom- I disagree somewhat with your last.I have, no doubt, less experience and knowledge- but when your basically calling me a noob i must speak up.
and it has gotten harder over recent years

I play in PA. Not only has it not gotten harder it has become much easier. A few years ago I had 8 deck no surrender. Now I have 6 deck with surrender.

are acceptable for recreational players
and beginners who are only playing shoe games.
But if you are serious about BJ ...
I am as serious as a heart attack about my blackjack. I am building a roll and will play full time very soon. I use KO and will continue to do so.
Let's say i do well for myself and have a good first year making 55k. How much would Zen add on to this assuming I could do it perfectly which of course I couldn't?
I'm not being a wise-ass I honestly don't know. maybe 5-7K? I'm sure it is a significant chunk of money but to imply I am an noob and cannot play KO makes me irritable. If it plays as well as HI-LO and I have no interest in pitch games then I'm all over it.

I don't mean to hijack thread but I would be interested in opinions. Certainly the advice to learn a stronger system is good advice. However,I play KO very well. I can be certain that mistakes are not being made. This fact alone makes it extremely attractive and will be with me as I dive into my first downward spiral as a pro.

BUZZARD said:
Flash I dont wanna ruffle your feathers, or your fur if you are that gorilla in your pic- but whereas your posts ooze with wisdom- I disagree somewhat with your last.I have, no doubt, less experience and knowledge- but when your basically calling me a noob i must speak up.

I play in PA. Not only has it not gotten harder it has become much easier. A few years ago I had 8 deck no surrender. Now I have 6 deck with surrender.

I am as serious as a heart attack about my blackjack. I am building a roll and will play full time very soon. I use KO and will continue to do so.
Let's say i do well for myself and have a good first year making 55k. How much would Zen add on to this assuming I could do it perfectly which of course I couldn't?
I'm not being a wise-ass I honestly don't know. maybe 5-7K? I'm sure it is a significant chunk of money but to imply I am an noob and cannot play KO makes me irritable. If it plays as well as HI-LO and I have no interest in pitch games then I'm all over it.

I don't mean to hijack thread but I would be interested in opinions. Certainly the advice to learn a stronger system is good advice. However,I play KO very well. I can be certain that mistakes are not being made. This fact alone makes it extremely attractive and will be with me as I dive into my first downward spiral as a pro.
KO is just fine, and if you true count it it can work even better than High-Low. In some situations Zen might even be a downgrade.

FLASH1296

BUZZARD,

I offer my apologies. I meant not to ruffle your vulture feathers,
but I sometimes run off at the mouth, as so to speak; posting without
comprehensive forethought.
Sadly, my apologies have no investment value, as they are ubiquitous.

F l a s h

High Level VS Low Level Count, It Rages On!

BUZZARD said:
I'm not being a wise-ass I honestly don't know. maybe 5-7K?
You have the right attitude.
You do recognize that better counts do outperform
You are even in the range of the amount of improvement.
So it seems you are making an informed decision.
So you are making the correct choice for you, if you are happy with your count and SIMMED win rate and other stats SCORE, NO etc. then that is all that matters.

One thing you may not be aware of:
The simpler counts have a high built in error rate, this is why they are inferior.

good cards:joker::whip:

aslan

blackjack avenger said:
You have the right attitude.
You do recognize that better counts do outperform
You are even in the range of the amount of improvement.
So it seems you are making an informed decision.
So you are making the correct choice for you, if you are happy with your count and SIMMED win rate and other stats SCORE, NO etc. then that is all that matters.

One thing you may not be aware of:
The simpler counts have a high built in error rate, this is why they are inferior.

Yes, but even there, there are easy ways to recoup most of what was lost without going whole hog to a balanced count. Of course, the virtues of a level two or better count cannot be achieved so easily. Maybe someone can tell us how to do this with some sort of simple side count or other?

You should check out dover downs in delaware. If you go during the week at like 4 to 8am, you can catch a 5 min/6 deck/s17. Penetration varies by dealer...usually a deck and a half. This is the best low stakes game I have found on the east coast soo far... last time I went their were 10 dollar 6 decks everywhere soo I asked a floor person if they had any 5 dollar games and lowered one table to 5 just for me to play. I thought that was super cool. Dover downs is definitely worth the drive.

aslan

jerseycounter said:
You should check out dover downs in delaware. If you go during the week at like 4 to 8am, you can catch a 5 min/6 deck/s17. Penetration varies by dealer...usually a deck and a half. This is the best low stakes game I have found on the east coast soo far... last time I went their were 10 dollar 6 decks everywhere soo I asked a floor person if they had any 5 dollar games and lowered one table to 5 just for me to play. I thought that was super cool. Dover downs is definitely worth the drive.
I was there last Saturday and they still had $5 tables at 10 o'clock am. The $5 tables first transitioned to $10 tables. By 6 PM the tables were all $15 and $25.

Just Do It, If You Can

aslan said:
Yes, but even there, there are easy ways to recoup most of what was lost without going whole hog to a balanced count. Of course, the virtues of a level two or better count cannot be achieved so easily. Maybe someone can tell us how to do this with some sort of simple side count or other?
Most/many higher level counts do not have an A side count.
Even hi opt II that has an A side count, does well without it.

Many things in life if you work at it, you can do it.
Even halves can get boring:rolleyes:

aslan

blackjack avenger said:
Most/many higher level counts do not have an A side count.
Even hi opt II that has an A side count, does well without it.

Many things in life if you work at it, you can do it.
Even halves can get boring:rolleyes:

No, what I was trying to say, maybe there is a way to get a lower level count like KO to achieve some of the benefits of a higher level count by adding a side count. I am making a stab in the dark in saying this. For example, would a side count of nines or aces make any difference in KO? I am not qualified to make such an evaluation.

Oh NOOOOOOOOOOO

aslan said:
No, what I was trying to say, maybe there is a way to get a lower level count like KO to achieve some of the benefits of a higher level count by adding a side count. I am making a stab in the dark in saying this. For example, would a side count of nines or aces make any difference in KO? I am not qualified to make such an evaluation.
I would imagine a side count can improve any count, but why add a side count to a low level count? Moving up a level would be far more easier? It can be a high level unbalanced system.

aslan

blackjack avenger said:
I would imagine a side count can improve any count, but why add a side count to a low level count? Moving up a level would be far more easier? It can be a high level unbalanced system.

So write me a KO level two unbalanced count. :rolleyes:

PS-- My idea. I want the patent on that.

aslan said:
What you can do is count 3-7 vs. 10's for playing, and add in a sidecount of deuces vs. aces. Add the two running counts together and bet just like you would KO, and make your playing decisions based on the 3-7 vs. 10's.

An alternative is to count 4-7 vs. 10's for your playing, as a balanced count, and then aces vs. 2 and 3 to set your bet.

FLASH1296

Buzzard,

Earlier in this thread, I apologized to you.
I am so used to putting my foot in my
mouth that I apologized reflexively !

:laugh:

In reviewing this thread I see that
I was addressing the O.P., not you.

What did I say that YOU took personally ?

Flash

aslan

Automatic Monkey said:
What you can do is count 3-7 vs. 10's for playing, and add in a sidecount of deuces vs. aces. Add the two running counts together and bet just like you would KO, and make your playing decisions based on the 3-7 vs. 10's.

An alternative is to count 4-7 vs. 10's for your playing, as a balanced count, and then aces vs. 2 and 3 to set your bet.
Does that mean to determine key count and pivot point for the purpose of bet spreading based on the combined counts, and to make insurance and index plays based on the 3-7/10 count?

So, for example, if my 3-7/10 RC (IRC=-4) for double deck is -1, and my 2/A RC (IRC=0) is +5, then my combined count is +4, which I should count as equivalent to a 2% advantage for betting purposes. However, for index play, my count would be -1, therefore, none of the Fab18 index plays until the 3-7/10 count reaches +1 (stand 16 vs ten), +3 (insurance) and +4 (most other Fab18 index plays), or -4 (13 vs, 2, 3 and 12 vs 4, 5, 6).

Last edited: