Fox Car Rentals

FLASH1296

i tried Fox once — the car developed a few mechanical problems, so the bill was adjusted fairly enough, but even ignoring that — the hassle re: their location, simply wasn’t worth it.

FLASH1296 said:
I have never known of anyone being able to rent a car without a credit card.

Anyone ? Anyone ?

They are not set up too take a cash deposit, and what would they do if they could — take $15,000 in greenbacks ?
Maybe 10-20 years ago you could find a car lot or rent-a-wreck to rent you a car on cash if you were white :eek: , but now that every clerk thinks he's a cop it's unlikely. Most places don't even want to rent you a car with a debit card. You're lucky to get a car without fingerprints and mug shots.

aslan

FLASH1296 said:

Anyone ? Anyone ?

They are not set up too take a cash deposit, and what would they do if they could — take $15,000 in greenbacks ?
Why would they need $15K if you are purchasing their insurance?

aslan

FLASH1296 said:

Anyone ? Anyone ?

The fellow wanted me to rent the car for him and put him on as an extra driver. He said the credit card represents a $500 security deposit, which he would let me hold in cash, and of course, he would pay me up front for the credit card charge. Since he was buying their insurance, he said there would be no additional liability. But when I checked, if he happened to have a wreck while drinking or under the influence, I would be fully liable. Also, I believe that even with full insurance coverage by the rental car company, there are limits, so that a person injured could sue me for more than the insurance policy would cover. Am I thinking correctly in not doing this fellow a favor by renting the car for him using my credit card?

WRX

FLASH1296 said:

Anyone ? Anyone ?

Yeah, but it was decades ago. Cash deposit. We're all much more modern and paranoid now, so I don't know....

WRX

aslan said:
Since he was buying their insurance, he said there would be no additional liability. But when I checked, if he happened to have a wreck while drinking or under the influence, I would be fully liable. Also, I believe that even with full insurance coverage by the rental car company, there are limits, so that a person injured could sue me for more than the insurance policy would cover. Am I thinking correctly in not doing this fellow a favor by renting the car for him using my credit card?
Those CDW contracts have more holes in them than a punk rocker's blue jeans. You're generally better off relying on the collision coverage in your own insurance, which of course is subject to a deductible. Yes, you would be taking risks in doing this favor for your friend.

Nynefingers

21forme said:
Who doesn't have a CC these days?
<sigh> Some of us are just lazy.... Never had much use for one, so I never got one. I did regret that decision though when it came time to find a mortgage. Later, when I got a vehicle loan, I regretted not getting a CC after I got my mortgage. Next time I apply for a loan, I'll probably be kicking myself again....

aslan

shadroch said:
If he's a friend and is trustworthy, I'd have no problem doing that.
The truth is he's a 25-year old kid who fancies himself a poker player. I trust him except that he's a heavy marijuana user, and not being a user myself, I don't know how much it influences one's judgment and driving ability. He has not demonstrated his ability to actually live off his gambling skills and he does not work, so I guess what I'm saying is that I trust his intentions, but not necessarily his ability to make mature decisions. He may prove me wrong, but I've seen a number of "would be" professional gamblers come and go.

johndoe

Renting a car on behalf of a heavy stoner poker-player buddy?

Even those guys should have credit cards. This has bad news written all over it.

johndoe said:
Renting a car on behalf of a heavy stoner poker-player buddy?

Even those guys should have credit cards. This has bad news written all over it.
I agree, if he gets caught with pot in the car he can always say it was your pot, and if he has no self-control there's a good chance he'll get caught.

Besides, he doesn't need a car in LV. Unless you are playing on the outskirts (where a poker player probably shouldn't be) you are better off without one.

aslan

Automatic Monkey said:
I agree, if he gets caught with pot in the car he can always say it was your pot, and if he has no self-control there's a good chance he'll get caught.

Besides, he doesn't need a car in LV. Unless you are playing on the outskirts (where a poker player probably shouldn't be) you are better off without one.
Thanks. I feel like I made the right decision.

I think his reason for wanting the car are four chicks he knows coming into town for one of their birthdays, also coinciding with the BCA US Open Ten-Ball Tournament. He even mentioned maybe driving to CA. If he needed money, no problem--but signing for liability, that's another story.