Fox Car Rentals

Have a trip planned in June and was wanting to know if any of y'all have used Fox. They are $13 cheaper than anyone else. I usually just walk or take the bus but the wife is coming and she may want to drive around.

shadroch

Using Fox, you can add about a half hour each way to the time spent getting a car. At the airport in Vegas, you need to take a five-ten minute shuffle bus ride to the rental car terminal. All the other agencies are there, except Fox. For Fox, you need to take a second shuttle bus another couple of miles. The ride itself is fairly short, the wait for the bus varies.
Since it is not connected to the Rental Terminal, you save three dollars a day in fees, and it's generally cheaper on the base rate as well.
If you are willing to forego an hour of your vacation to save some money, it can be worth it. The cars seem average.
If you are not going at prime time, I find using hotwire a week out gets me great prices. I also book thru http://www.carrentals.com. The thing to remember is that rates change constantly, and you can cancel a reservation right up to the time you pick it up. I lock in a low rate but constantly check to see if I can beat it.

moo321

shadroch said:
Using Fox, you can add about a half hour each way to the time spent getting a car. At the airport in Vegas, you need to take a five-ten minute shuffle bus ride to the rental car terminal. All the other agencies are there, except Fox. For Fox, you need to take a second shuttle bus another couple of miles. The ride itself is fairly short, the wait for the bus varies.
Since it is not connected to the Rental Terminal, you save three dollars a day in fees, and it's generally cheaper on the base rate as well.
If you are willing to forego an hour of your vacation to save some money, it can be worth it. The cars seem average.
If you are not going at prime time, I find using hotwire a week out gets me great prices. I also book thru http://www.carrentals.com. The thing to remember is that rates change constantly, and you can cancel a reservation right up to the time you pick it up. I lock in a low rate but constantly check to see if I can beat it.
Wow. Really excellent, thorough response to the question. You should run a tour service in Vegas.

Lonesome Gambler

I'd recommend Fox. Like Shadroch said, it's off-terminal, so make sure you allow an extra 30 minutes. The Fox lot is not too far away from the airport, so the drive is pretty short, and they are certainly cheaper than the competitors. The inconvenience factor is small.

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
I've used Fox and the comments above reflect my experience as well.

I also advise placing a bid at Priceline.com before you actually book any published rate. On numerous occasions I've saved a lot. Just be sure to watch all the fees etc to make sure you're bidding for a noticeably lower cost overall.

Beazle said:
Have a trip planned in June and was wanting to know if any of y'all have used Fox. They are $13 cheaper than anyone else. I usually just walk or take the bus but the wife is coming and she may want to drive around.
I'll die before I rent from Fox again. They have all PT Cruisers and similar pieces of garbage. One time I called them and they swore on a stack of Bibles that I would not receive that vehicle, and sure enough one was waiting for me when I arrived, with no other options.

Recommend Avis, Dollar, Thrifty, Budget.

Dyepaintball12

I always search for about an hour on-line for "car rental coupons" and this brings hundreds of pages of results with random coupons to use when booking on-line.

Everything from cheaper rates per day to free GPS to rent 2 days get one free.

aslan

Automatic Monkey said:
I'll die before I rent from Fox again. They have all PT Cruisers and similar pieces of garbage. One time I called them and they swore on a stack of Bibles that I would not receive that vehicle, and sure enough one was waiting for me when I arrived, with no other options.

Recommend Avis, Dollar, Thrifty, Budget.
PT Cruiser is all you had to say. Not for me. In Vegas, we have been using Dollar for about ten years with good results, often getting free upgrades.

aslan

Dyepaintball12 said:
I always search for about an hour on-line for "car rental coupons" and this brings hundreds of pages of results with random coupons to use when booking on-line.

Everything from cheaper rates per day to free GPS to rent 2 days get one free.
I always take my GPS with me, as well as, Sirius radio.

WRX

Rates substantially cheaper than the competition, bare-bones facilities, a longer shuttle time from the airport (although 30 minutes is an exaggeration), highly variable wait times at the counter (anything from instant service to a 30 minute wait), decent but somewhat older vehicles, and potential hassles over trying to blame you for scratches. What I think it comes down to is, do you consider the money saved to be sufficient compensation for the additional time you'll lose?

But then, I like PT Cruisers!

aslan

WRX said:
Rates substantially cheaper than the competition, bare-bones facilities, a longer shuttle time from the airport (although 30 minutes is an exaggeration), highly variable wait times at the counter (anything from instant service to a 30 minute wait), decent but somewhat older vehicles, and potential hassles over trying to blame you for scratches. What I think it comes down to is, do you consider the money saved to be sufficient compensation for the additional time you'll lose?

But then, I like PT Cruisers!
Dollar will give you a PT Cruiser if you want one, which I never do. :) Their rates are great and if you are an express member, you will seldom have to wait.

The 30-minute estimate is to allow for returning the vehicle and getting to the airport without missing your departing flight! For the record, last time I rented from Fox, they mentioned that I'd be getting a PT Cruiser, but before I could object, they switched me to a different car instead.

shadroch

I've heard a lot of people run into hassles at Fox if you don't have a copy of your insurance policy with you. I didn't have mine, and it was a minor hassle, but I've read of b people being refused rentals over it.

shadroch said:
I've heard a lot of people run into hassles at Fox if you don't have a copy of your insurance policy with you. I didn't have mine, and it was a minor hassle, but I've read of b people being refused rentals over it.
That wasn't the real reason why they were refused, of course. As you know, plenty of people in NYC don't have cars and wouldn't have auto insurance. The major car rental companies won't screw around with you like that. I'd rather pay an extra $5 per day than risk being stranded at the airport by some punk kid who thinks it makes him a big shot to refuse to rent a car to someone.

shadroch

I've paid more than $10 a day only once, and $10 to a yardman gets me pretty much the car of my choice. Do not tip the counter clerk, tip the yard guys.

rukus

this should get you many great car rental deals from National and other big name companies if you have the patience to check the codes and their current rates:

http://slickdeals.net/f/634835-car-rental-deals

ive used the national one labeled as "has been known to be great" (search the page for it) with no issues in the past. have gotten some great rates off these codes! i would be curious to see how these rates to compare vs what you guys often see in vegas.

aslan

I am in Vegas now, and a friend here is trying to rent a car. He has no credit or debit card, just cold cash. Does anyone know a company that will rent him a car with just cash? He would be paying for insurance and is willing to leave a cash security deposit.

FLASH1296

I have never known of anyone being able to rent a car without a credit card.

Anyone ? Anyone ?

They are not set up too take a cash deposit, and what would they do if they could — take $15,000 in greenbacks ?