Going to the Rio, Sept. 12th, good place?

rennyboy

I am going to be at the Rio from the 12th of Sept. to the 15th and will be staying at the Rio. How is the blackjack there? I am assuming it is the same as Harrahs, which is not too good, anyone have any helpful info? thanks

Jeff Dubya

Typical Harrahs property, rules are not to your advantage at most tables. Plus the Rio is far enough off the strip that you are going to waste some time in transit.

I have heard the buffet is respectable. :)

shadroch

Both buffets are way above average,the free show is fun the first time you see it,rooms are very nice,gambling sux. Walk to The gold Coast or take the free shuttles to the strip,i f you have no car.

callipygian

I went to some island-themed buffet at the Rio. It was above average, but also just as pricey as Spice Buffet at then-Aladdin (which is tops) so I'd recommend against it.

Penn & Teller is also above average, but again, waaay to much money (I think I paid $85) to make me happy about seeing it.

I've never gambled there.

Edit for clarification: I don't think Spice Buffet is the best buffet in town. In terms of pure quality, I'd vote (1) Bellagio, (2), Wynn, (tie for 3) Spice and Mandalay Bay. In terms of price, I'd say (tie 1) Bellagio and Wynn, (tie 3) Spice and Mandalay. I think Rio is below Spice in quality, but as expensive, so I've only been there once (same with the Wynn, whose price and location just can't compete with the Bellagio). In the interest of full disclosure, I'll also add that I'm aware my opinion of the Wynn's quality is a statistical outlier - all my friends thought it was Excalibur-level.

Last edited:

shadroch

There are two buffets at The Rio. The Seafood buffet which is very pricey,but good if you like Lobster.. The World Buffet is made up of seven different groupings and is my favorite buffet in town.Lunch is reasonable,dinner a bit pricey.As I'm always using a comp,it doesn't matter to me. If you get there around 3;30,you can pay for lunch.but they put the dinner items out at 3:45.
I call it a late lunch and then have a late nite snack. I save about $10 on my comp balance and avoid the crazy lines.

If you have a few people,(i'd rec. 4 or more) eat in the Italian joint, Matarano's. (kinda pricey)Food pretty good but you'll have a blast. It's like a Sunday dinner at Mom's.