I just started dealing blackjack

QFIT

Encourage dealers to count. The more time they spend on tasks unrelated to their jobs, the more errors they will make at their jobs.

BrianCP

Bojack1 said:
This is precisely the reason that all who play for me are required to be able to count while dealing. It is not easy at first, but like all repititious procedures, it becomes very natural through real practice. It is amazing what one can do when they allow themselves to work outside of their comfort zone. Their threshholds become higher and higher, and as you need to concentrate less on the mundane, your awareness can be heightened to many other opportunities
This is true of many things. Even video games. I was playing a fighting game with my friend a year or two ago (super smash bros. brawl) and we were having our epic duel as we were the best two in our group. We were also talking with other friends at the time of course, but about 5 minutes in I kind of "came to" and realized I hadn't even been consciously playing for a few minutes now, but I was doing really well.

Zen and the art of SMASH BROS.

Thunder

Bojack1 said:
This is precisely the reason that all who play for me are required to be able to count while dealing. It is not easy at first, but like all repititious procedures, it becomes very natural through real practice. It is amazing what one can do when they allow themselves to work outside of their comfort zone. Their threshholds become higher and higher, and as you need to concentrate less on the mundane, your awareness can be heightened to many other opportunities
With all due respect Bojack, it's not the act of counting that's hard while dealing. Rather it's the fact that there are so many distractions while doing it that require most of your concentration, that should you focus more on the counting, you risk making errors in dealing and not providing the customer as good of an experience thereby lowering tips or what not. You made one key point in your statement. "Concentrate less on the mundane" There is often little that's mundane when dealing as I know I continually face the unexpected, whether it's someone spilling a drink, people trying to raise bets while having already started to deal, etc etc. Personally I can scan a table and have the count in a second, count down a deck in under 25 seconds, achieve a perfect score on the iphone's card counting app, etc but nothing to me will test you like this. I know it probably can be done but I would love to see someone accurately maintain the count in an 8 deck shoe consistently while dealing professionally at a PLOPPY table :) (It's more mundane when you have players who have played BJ many times before) I'm willing to bet that not even 10% of the AP's on here can do this. I think what you're looking for are AP's who can just glance at the table and automatically have the count without having to manually add it up in their head. The hardest aspect of counting for most AP's I would guess is doing an accurate TC division with under 1 deck remaining, say if you have 5/8 of a deck left with a RC of +7 :p To avoid being detected as a counter as you know, you need to be able to do this division instantly.

Bojack1

Thunder said:
With all due respect Bojack, it's not the act of counting that's hard while dealing. Rather it's the fact that there are so many distractions while doing it that require most of your concentration, that should you focus more on the counting, you risk making errors in dealing and not providing the customer as good of an experience thereby lowering tips or what not. You made one key point in your statement. "Concentrate less on the mundane" There is often little that's mundane when dealing as I know I continually face the unexpected, whether it's someone spilling a drink, people trying to raise bets while having already started to deal, etc etc. Personally I can scan a table and have the count in a second, count down a deck in under 25 seconds, achieve a perfect score on the iphone's card counting app, etc but nothing to me will test you like this. I know it probably can be done but I would love to see someone accurately maintain the count in an 8 deck shoe consistently while dealing professionally at a PLOPPY table :) (It's more mundane when you have players who have played BJ many times before) I'm willing to bet that not even 10% of the AP's on here can do this. I think what you're looking for are AP's who can just glance at the table and automatically have the count without having to manually add it up in their head. The hardest aspect of counting for most AP's I would guess is doing an accurate TC division with under 1 deck remaining, say if you have 5/8 of a deck left with a RC of +7 :p To avoid being detected as a counter as you know, you need to be able to do this division instantly.
I'd be willing to bet less than 10% can do it. But your post really backs up my point. When I train my players, as they progress I like to fill their mental capacity with distractions to make sure counting is no longer a thought out task as much as a reaction to the cards. Dealing while counting is an excellent exercise in this process. The more you can move counting away from concious thought while still being accurate, the more you can accomplish mentally that which can bring possible greater rewards. And if you are using a count that requires TC conversion, its best to learn the many mathematical shortcuts there are that don't always require division of fractions.

Imo, counting is dangerous for most players. Most learn just enough to suck them in to a bad situation. Counting a deck of cards or even multiple decks is fairly easy for most people. Thats the problem. Its too easy to think your good at something because of the basic simplicity of it. Learning how to count cards will not take most out of their comfort zone mentally, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're are great at it either .

Mewtwo

BrianCP said:
This is true of many things. Even video games. I was playing a fighting game with my friend a year or two ago (super smash bros. brawl) and we were having our epic duel as we were the best two in our group. We were also talking with other friends at the time of course, but about 5 minutes in I kind of "came to" and realized I hadn't even been consciously playing for a few minutes now, but I was doing really well.

Zen and the art of SMASH BROS.
Unrelated, and I never thought I'd be getting into this discussion on this board, but **** Brawl, support Melee.

BrianCP

Mewtwo said:
Unrelated, and I never thought I'd be getting into this discussion on this board, but **** Brawl, support Melee.
S'okay, I have both! Melee was far more balanced in terms of competitive play, but I still love my King Dedede.

Off topic unhelpful posts for the win!

Mewtwo

BrianCP said:
S'okay, I have both! Melee was far more balanced in terms of competitive play, but I still love my King Dedede.

Off topic unhelpful posts for the win!
Don't get me wrong, I've looked into things about Brawl, I know they butchered the online play and it's floatier, tournament players complain about that...

...though my bitching about Brawl MAY be 99.99% relating to Mewtwo having been cut from the final roster...

BrianCP

Mewtwo said:
Don't get me wrong, I've looked into things about Brawl, I know they butchered the online play and it's floatier, tournament players complain about that...

...though my bitching about Brawl MAY be 99.99% relating to Mewtwo having been cut from the final roster...
Well Mewtwo was one of the worst characters in Melee.

Yeah I realize you love him, but that is the truth. At least my favorite character (Luigi) was average to good.

Mewtwo

BrianCP said:
Well Mewtwo was one of the worst characters in Melee.

Yeah I realize you love him, but that is the truth. At least my favorite character (Luigi) was average to good.
Don't worry - I actually AGREE with you. And that's why he deserves a second chance, with a power buff - I'm not asking for Meta-Knight levels of broken, just for him to be able to, you know...hold his own? How is it that there are two other Pokemon, not even fully evolved and non-legendary, in the same game, that are above and beyond his capabilities? (Admittedly in matches where I'm not just screwing around, I play as Pikachu.)

The dev team behind Melee's balancing had something out for him, I swear.

...and if I had a dollar for every time I derailed a discussion into "Mewtwo and his fanbase got f***ed with the Brawl roster" I could play in high limit. Comfortably.

Also, in case anyone is still reading this, my fanatical devotion to Mewtwo is the reason I have two thirds of my income and thus the chance to even start counting in the first place.

Last edited: