is ed thorps basics strategy still the standard today

FLASH1296

Not Quite.

B.S. differs by number of decks and whether or not the dealer hits soft 17 and whether or not the player may double after splitting a pair. Also, whether the dealer takes a hole card.

pooptarts92

FLASH1296 said:
Not Quite.

B.S. differs by number of decks and whether or not the dealer hits soft 17 and whether or not the player may double after splitting a pair. Also, whether the dealer takes a hole card.
if this is true, then is BS that much different for my type of game? There is no hole card, the dealer just takes cards on their upcard after each player finishes with their hands. Also, splitting aces only gets you 1 card per ace, no drawing/doubling/resplitting. Does this factor into any changes?

SleightOfHand

pooptarts92 said:
if this is true, then is BS that much different for my type of game? There is no hole card, the dealer just takes cards on their upcard after each player finishes with their hands. Also, splitting aces only gets you 1 card per ace, no drawing/doubling/resplitting. Does this factor into any changes?
Look at the Basic Strategy Engine to your left.

pooptarts92

SleightOfHand said:
Look at the Basic Strategy Engine to your left.
Hmm the only difference I noticed was to hit AA vs A rather than split, but how am I supposed to know the right count to split this against an ace?

jack.jackson

pooptarts92 said:
Hmm the only difference I noticed was to hit AA vs A rather than split, but how am I supposed to know the right count to split this against an ace?
This is where Cvdata comes in. What count do you use? maybe i can find the index for ya. The other BS changes are 11vX and 11vA(H17).

A few index plays are affected as well.

Last edited:

moo321

The no hole-card rule does affect BS a bit. But for the most part, you're not giving much up by using the 6 deck BS for all games. A few marginal doubles and splits, which you should be using indexes for anyways.

pooptarts92

jack said:
This is where Cvdata comes in. What count do you use? maybe i can find the index for ya. The other BS changes are 11vX and 11vA(H17).

A few index plays are affected as well.
I use wong halves. According to his book 11 vs ace is a hit at 0 or below, and 11 vs X is a hit a tc -4 or below, which I'd never stick around to see.