More AC Heat and NJ Gaming Law Question

aslan

moo321 said:
Well, the problem with 8 deckers is that the count is so static, it's hard to get a high count. That's why I recommend slamming down big bets when it finally gets there.

With some of the "typical" spreads people recommend, like 1-12, your scores are absolute dogshit. Probably less than $25 for the average AC 8 decker. I personally wouldn't risk a 10k bankroll for $25 an hour.

Also, it's kind of a moot point, because I don't think anyone should be playing all in an AC 8 decker, unless they really need the comps. The SCORE is so much better back-counting, and the heat is much lower.

The only reason I would consider a smaller spread is if there was a really good game I wanted to protect, i.e. a half deck cut or early surrender.
I'm not sure what you mean by static; 8-deck is no more static than 6-deck to my knowledge and experience. It has slightly more chance for long strings of high or low cards, simply because it has more cards. You do generally have to wait longer than in 6-deck for a plus count again simply because there are more cards, but occasionally you will get a fantastic and long-lasting plus count, especially where the pen is extremely good (a half deck cut). I try to gear my 8-deck game around this latter idea.

I would rather play a $5 or $10 limit so that I can mix up my betting in neutral ranges in order to disguise what my minimum bet really is. I want to prepare the house for pushing out two hands of one or two hundred, which could amount to nearly 40X min if you play your cards right. High bets in neutral counts will generally even out but give the impression that you are an erratic bettor, sometimes betting $5 and sometimes betting $25 or more. An occasional larger bet in negative territory will establish that your betting behavior is inconsistent with any counting system. If I win a larger bet in negative counts I will run it again, and again, and again so long as I am winning it. Let them play the tapes and figure that one out. I also wong out when the count nosedives unless I continue to win. The whole idea of my strategy is to tread water until that monster shoe shows up that turns plus early and stays that way for a long time. I will then bet with a vengeance, and then just as quickly leave for dinner or a date when it is past. Patience is a large part of beating an 8-deck game, and keeping your head above water while you wait for your big assault.

Of course, it sometimes bites you in the butt just like any other game. Two weeks ago Vegas I hit a monster count early on and proceeded to dump my entire trip bankroll in a high plus count. I returned from the ATM and eventually won back almost 3/4 of my loss, but never got it all back that session. But that loss was attributable to negative variance in a plus count, which is the bane of counters in any game, single deck to 8-deck.

Another time, about a month ago at B in AC I was playing a $10 game. The count hovered around neutral so I began betting $25 X 2 figuring I could appear to have moved up to green chipping. I kept winning, so I continued the green chips hoping it would soon turn plus. As it turned plus I was able to bet multiple greens without heat by letting my winnings ride. Before you know it I was betting two hands of $200 each which may have appeared 8X in the short run but which was really nearly 20X in the long run. I did very well that shoe and ran off to dinner with my wife.

I don't blame you if you don't play 8-deck, but sometimes it's the only game in town, or at least the best. It does take more patience, and it does require "wonging out," and is good to "wong in" if this is practicable. It is beatable, but not everyone is willing to invest the time in such a game. I feel you pain--My session in Vegas was a 22-hour marathon and in part a bad dream even though I recovered most my bankroll. But most 8-deck sessions are only a fraction of that. Fortunately I had a good time in spite of the sudden and unexpected initial nosedive, and made some friends in that long session. A recreational player has more than one benefit from playing, although losing is still unacceptable.

Last edited:

ArcticInferno

Moo321, I used to play only 6-decks. I used to be biased against 8-decks because many books tell you to stay away from them. Also, there’s the natural misperception of 6 vs 8 decks.
After reading posts here, I started to open my mind and explore deeper into the gaming conditions.
Logically, after 2 decks of 8 have been dealt out, you basically have a 6 deck game.
But besides that, the starting disadvantage of the 8 decks isn’t very great.
The frequency of count fluctuations in 8 decks is less than 6, but not by much.
My personal experience has convinced me beyond doubt that 8 decks are very profitable. Caesars in Atlantic City has some truly atrocious rules. They hit soft seventeen, and I still go there regularly with great results. You have to have a healthy propensity to Wong out, and have a good act for $25 - $350 spread. I neeeever get rated, so I don’t play for comps.
I always play two hands (2x$25 - 2x$350). I like it when the table’s somewhat full, so that it gets near the cut card faster, which is when I start firing away black chips.

moo321

ArcticInferno said:
Moo321, I used to play only 6-decks. I used to be biased against 8-decks because many books tell you to stay away from them. Also, there’s the natural misperception of 6 vs 8 decks.
After reading posts here, I started to open my mind and explore deeper into the gaming conditions.
Logically, after 2 decks of 8 have been dealt out, you basically have a 6 deck game.
But besides that, the starting disadvantage of the 8 decks isn’t very great.
The frequency of count fluctuations in 8 decks is less than 6, but not by much.
My personal experience has convinced me beyond doubt that 8 decks are very profitable. Caesars in Atlantic City has some truly atrocious rules. They hit soft seventeen, and I still go there regularly with great results. You have to have a healthy propensity to Wong out, and have a good act for $25 - $350 spread. I neeeever get rated, so I don’t play for comps.
I always play two hands (2x$25 - 2x$350). I like it when the table’s somewhat full, so that it gets near the cut card faster, which is when I start firing away black chips.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying never to play 8 deckers. Just have a realistic understanding of the advantage you're going to get. A 1-8 spread absolutely doesn't cut it for most people who are in it for the money.

For example, take an 8D, S17 DAS LS game with a one deck cut. By all measures, a very good 8 decker. SCORE with a 1-8 spread? 32. Not so hot.

Jump the spread to 1-16? 48.5 SCORE. Much better

Back-count it? 74 SCORE. Exponentially better.

Now, let's get realistic here, because the above game is hard to find. A realistic 8 deck AC game, if you scout a little...

S17, 1.5 deck cut, 1-8 spread: SCORE of 12!
H17, 1.5 deck cut, 1-8 spread: SCORE of 5.5!

I don't think I'm cherry picking results: those are the games you're most likely going to run into in AC. And those results are absolutely, undeniably unplayable. Even wonging out with a 1-8 spread, it would probably be hard to crack a SCORE of 30.

Last edited:

ArcticInferno

My spread of $25-$350 is 1:14.
On rare occasions, I've gone upto $400, but very seldom.
A 1:14 spread is very profitable.
Since I always play two hands, double the profit potential.
I doubt that all my winnings at Caesars, Taj Mahal, etc., are purely due to a positive flux.
Try it yourself and you'll see.