New (To me) ploppy lingo. Wtf?

ninous26

Been out and around playing BJ effectively from the info I've absorbed from you guys (Thanks).

Recently at a local Indian store I found a 6 deck shoe where a couple dealers are giving a nice 83% pen.. After several hours of playing I'm constantly hearing ploppies at my table and other tables around me shouting "BACK DOOR! BACK DOOR!" as if they're anticipating a face card first BJ? I'm not sure I don't get it.. Also been hearing lots of "MONKEY! MONKEY! YAY MONKEY!!!"

This is pretty stupid but hilarious. A friend says he's been hearing the "monkey" term for a while but it's new to me..

What other annoying BJ ploppy lingo do you guys hear on a daily basis?

ninous26 said:
Been out and around playing BJ effectively from the info I've absorbed from you guys (Thanks).

Recently at a local Indian store I found a 6 deck shoe where a couple dealers are giving a nice 83% pen.. After several hours of playing I'm constantly hearing ploppies at my table and other tables around me shouting "BACK DOOR! BACK DOOR!" as if they're anticipating a face card first BJ?
No when they yell "back door" they don't want a BJ. They want anal.

ninous26 said:
I'm not sure I don't get it.. Also been hearing lots of "MONKEY! MONKEY! YAY MONKEY!!!"
They're cheering for me.

I actually had a weird one the other week.
Mexican gentleman to my right as Im playin third base. He gets an ace versus a dealer 8. He doubles an keeps yellin "dee ace dee ace!." Im like WTF?!?!

moo321

"Monkey" is when they are yelling for a ten. I believe this is from Chinese or some other Asian language.

HockeXpert

moo321 said:
"Monkey" is when they are yelling for a ten. I believe this is from Chinese or some other Asian language.
"Monkey" is a misquote/mispronunciation by Asians of the word "Monarchy".

21forme said:
It's actually from the French word Manqué.
21 is right. The word is derived from the verb 'to miss'. The term originated in baccarat used when the bettor doesn't want the hand to change as a card is drawn. Ten value cards are zero cards in baccarat. They are calling for a zero card so the hand misses any change to the existing hand. By association it has come to mean any ten value card in blackjack.

StandardDeviant

tthree said:
21 is right. The word is derived from the verb 'to miss'. The term originated in baccarat used when the bettor doesn't want the hand to change as a card is drawn. Ten value cards are zero cards in baccarat. They are calling for a zero card so the hand misses any change to the existing hand. By association it has come to mean any ten value card in blackjack.
Fascinating! Thanks for this lucid explanation -- although now I'll be thinking about Automatic Monkey every time I hear it. :)

BJinNJ

Monkey was used in...

the movie 21 as well.
Saw it again, recently.

A cable station played 21 back
to back with Rounders, a few
weeks ago.

BJinNJ :cool:

ninous26 said:
After several hours of playing I'm constantly hearing ploppies at my table and other tables around me shouting "BACK DOOR! BACK DOOR!" as if they're anticipating a face card first BJ? I'm not sure I don't get it..
Yeah, gotta love that back door action.

As for "monkey", I hear this fairly frequently and it's invariably an asian expression. Josh Axelrad claims to have used it though (in the shortened form of "MUH!") w/some of his teamates before sessions and to communicate w/each other while shuffle tracking in "Repeat Until Rich" - and he weren't no asian, just a dreaded Jew.

Thanks to tthree I've now done my learning for the day and know from now on to tell these people to "STFU!" and go play baccarat. After all, they're the ones that are gonna be bitchin' about you hittin' those 12's and screwin' up the flow of the cards.

No Your Surroundings

Think monkey means 10. They will say it on dealer break draws or doubling 10.

Backdoor probably means 10 followed by A BJ. That's seems to be when they say it.

One should probably know & use civilian expressions. If one pays attention they can learn them.

Last edited: