Optimal bet

E-town-guy

Since I don't have a sim program and it was recommended not to get one ;) I was thinking about a betting scheme I've seen in a couple of books. The exact amounts aren't important, whats important is when it was suggested to raise your bet.

Say you can bet from $10-100. Now I know that at a TC of 0 or less the house has the edge so you would probably want to wait till a TC of at least 1 to raise your bet but I've seen something as follows recommended:

neg counts: $10
0 and +1: $25
+2: $50
+3: $75
+4: $100

I would have thought it would be better to wait till +1 to raise your bet:
0 and neg: $10
+1: $25
+2: $50
+3: $75
+4: $100

Since it was recommended in a book I assume there must be some validity behind it and that I must be wrong but I'm not sure why. At first I thought that betting $25 at TC of 0 would inc. your avg bet, increasing your overall profit. But that simply doesn't make sense since at 0 you're losing more money than you're making so that should in fact lower your ev.

From what I've read, optimal betting is procedure specific. If you use the Hi/Low count your optimal betting would be different than if you used the Zen count. Since the key word is "optimal" and the different counts have different efficiencies, it would make sense that betting should vary (if only slightly).

Max