Question about 2 deck vs. 6 deck

Hello everyone,

Happy new year!

I just need a clarification over something that I can't seem to wrap my head around.

Is a 6 deck, very well penetrated game better than a poorly penetrated 2 deck game? If so, how can this be? The way I see it, the less decks the better regardless of penetration.

All explanations are greatly appreciated.

sagefr0g

clouds said:
Hello everyone,

Happy new year!

I just need a clarification over something that I can't seem to wrap my head around.

Is a 6 deck, very well penetrated game better than a poorly penetrated 2 deck game? If so, how can this be? The way I see it, the less decks the better regardless of penetration.

All explanations are greatly appreciated.
all that has to do with penetration, i don't understand, but the six deck game with superior penetration may trump the double deck with poor penetration, however rules are a factor as well, which you didn't mention.

but with respect to double deck with poor penetration consider that, yeah you may see frequent positive true counts. thing is with poor penetration the shuffle will come before you get to utilize raised bets more than a few times, and realize you wont always be winning those raised bets even though the count is positive and then comes the shuffle. but if you had good penetration and the count was positive you'd have more opportunities to continue raised bets and maybe get a snapper, split or double down.

but here is one consideration concerning your example, the six deck game with good penetration, if you have a positive count, then you may have many more rounds where you have the opportunity to continue raised bets.

iCountNTrack

In fact both penetration and number of decks are important as they can work in the same direction: the fewer the decks the faster opportunities arise, the deeper the penetration the more frequent the opportunities are.

21forme

clouds said:
Is a 6 deck, very well penetrated game better than a poorly penetrated 2 deck game?
It depends. You didn't state whether or not you're counting cards or playing basic Strategy. Judging by your question, my guess is you're playing BS. If so, then penetration makes no difference whatsoever. House edge is strictly related to the # of decks and the rules. If counting cards, penetration makes all the difference in the world.

Diver

BJ Attack

This question can be considered by looking at the SCORE* summary tables in Blackjack Attack.

A DD game with poor penetration (52/104) and a bet spread of 1-6 units has a SCORE of 27.03 for a S17 DAS game.

A 6D game with decent penetration (4.5/6 decks) and a bet spread of 1-12 units has a SCORE of 20.64 for the sames rules and playing all. Back counting and using a 1-3 spread moves the SCORE to 39.97.

If that 6D games has very good penetration (5/6 decks) and the same spreads as above, the SCORE moves to 34.61 for play-all and 61.63 with back counting.

*Over time the Standardized Comparison of Risk and Expectation has come to be taken as an hourly win rate, not what was originally intended by Don Schlesinger, but he's surrendered to common usage.

Last edited: