Record keeping

I'm going to start to keep records on my play and I was wondering how some of you would go about it. My idea is to just get a notebook and keep track of hours played, money won/lost and bank roll size. Keeping a side tally of money spent on expenditures, like the 10 dollars for the bus ride, $X dollars for the flat tire, I went to McDonald's and spent 5 dollars so that's -5 etc. My bank roll is pretty much my life roll right now so every ounce of liquid cash I have is a part of the bank roll, even the money I need to pay my bills and what not.
I was wondering how you would take notes and record keep in a scenario like mine. I have a good idea of what I'm going to be doing and how I'm going to be keeping record of my play but I always love to hear the communities thoughts because there's usually something I can pick up and incorporate in to my plan to make it better, thanks.

sagefr0g

JohnCrover said:
What issues?
probably the issues you addressed in your original post, rather than address them, he just suggested using excel.

with respect to an issue in your original post, "...,Keeping a side tally of money spent on expenditures, like the 10 dollars for the bus ride, $X dollars for the flat tire, I went to McDonald's and spent 5 dollars so that's -5 etc. My bank roll is pretty much my life roll right now so every ounce of liquid cash I have is a part of the bank roll, even the money I need to pay my bills and what not. ,,,".
you may find this link interesting that speaks of that very issue. https://www.blackjackinfo.com/community/threads/an-introduction-to-card-counting.14297/ where icnt states: "c. Bankroll Requirements and Optimum Betting
Strictly speaking (and correctly for that matter!!!) your bankroll is the cash worth value of everything you own (property, cars, bank accounts, stocks, pocket change) minus the total debt that you owe. However most people have a more conservative definition of a bankroll and allocate only a certain fraction of their total wealth to play blackjack. Conventionally, you divide your bankroll into a certain number of betting units...."

but anyway, excel, yes, a good tool. heck, make your records as you see fit, and overtime adjust as you see fit.

sagefr0g said:
probably the issues you addressed in your original post, rather than address them, he just suggested using excel.

with respect to an issue in your original post, "...,Keeping a side tally of money spent on expenditures, like the 10 dollars for the bus ride, $X dollars for the flat tire, I went to McDonald's and spent 5 dollars so that's -5 etc. My bank roll is pretty much my life roll right now so every ounce of liquid cash I have is a part of the bank roll, even the money I need to pay my bills and what not. ,,,".
you may find this link interesting that speaks of that very issue. https://www.blackjackinfo.com/community/threads/an-introduction-to-card-counting.14297/ where icnt states: "c. Bankroll Requirements and Optimum Betting
Strictly speaking (and correctly for that matter!!!) your bankroll is the cash worth value of everything you own (property, cars, bank accounts, stocks, pocket change) minus the total debt that you owe. However most people have a more conservative definition of a bankroll and allocate only a certain fraction of their total wealth to play blackjack. Conventionally, you divide your bankroll into a certain number of betting units...."

but anyway, excel, yes, a good tool. heck, make your records as you see fit, and overtime adjust as you see fit.
Ok I get that, I totally would take the more conservative approach too. Just for now the more conservative approach is actually the more risky one because of the BR size.

SplitFaceDisaster

JohnCrover said:
I'm going to start to keep records on my play and I was wondering how some of you would go about it. My idea is to just get a notebook and keep track of hours played, money won/lost and bank roll size. Keeping a side tally of money spent on expenditures, like the 10 dollars for the bus ride, $X dollars for the flat tire, I went to McDonald's and spent 5 dollars so that's -5 etc. My bank roll is pretty much my life roll right now so every ounce of liquid cash I have is a part of the bank roll, even the money I need to pay my bills and what not.
I was wondering how you would take notes and record keep in a scenario like mine. I have a good idea of what I'm going to be doing and how I'm going to be keeping record of my play but I always love to hear the communities thoughts because there's usually something I can pick up and incorporate in to my plan to make it better, thanks.
If you don`t want to use Excel and you have an iPhone, there`s an app you can use called RunGood. I came across it when a poker player was playing 21 beside me and showing his friend his winnings graph. He showed it to me after I asked about it, and I`ve been using it ever since. Some of the stats it tracks are meaningless for blackjack, but it works for what I keep records of. I think at one point they were working on an Android app too, but I`m not sure if they finished it or not. It was around 20 bucks when I bought it, but it was well worth it in my opinion. If you wanted to track all of your expenditures, I can think of a way you could tweak it to do so. I don`t do that though, so not sure how well it would work.