Remembering Count & Distractions - What's Your Method?

Looking for advice on ways people "remember" the count in their head. I've found that during my simulation play, when the "dealer" calls out the card totals, I can get mixed up if it is 1 or 2 off of my RC.

What methods does everyone out there use to keep their RC in check?

I have a habit of remembering RC in another language. I don't know does it help me a lot but it's harder to get distracted by hand total.

MasterofNone

Athletes jersey numbers. When it is my turn i picture an athlete's jersey/uniform number so while i am splitting or doubling and forgetting to count i can recall the number and do quick arithmitic before the cards are swept away;esp if i am at third base.

Remembering

When you play as much BJ as 21 Gun Salute keeping the count is hardly a problem,,unless I am playing at his table and creating strange distractions,,,or maybe that foxy young hottie and her hottie Mother that seem to have a thing for 21,,,,nah!!!!,,,,he still is keeping the count!;):laugh::laugh:;)

CP

paddywhack

creeping panther said:
When you play as much BJ as 21 Gun Salute keeping the count is hardly a problem,,unless I am playing at his table and creating strange distractions,,,or maybe that foxy young hottie and her hottie Mother that seem to have a thing for 21,,,,nah!!!!,,,,he still is keeping the count!;):laugh::laugh:;)

CP
I don't know, the mother might make him mess up a bit, especially when she comes onto him more than usual......:laugh:

21gunsalute

creeping panther said:

CP
Somebody needs to get his paddy whacked! :whip:

Canceler

robcasell said:
Looking for advice on ways people "remember" the count in their head.
I’m not sure there’s any magic thing you can do. You just have to develop a place in your head where you keep the count. This comes with practice and experience.

When I first started out, it took very little to cause me to lose the count. But I just kept on trying to do the best I could. Eventually a couple of things happened that made me realize I was finally getting it.

• The beverage gal dropped a cup of pop onto the empty seat next to me, splashing me.
  • The woman in the seat next to me became unconscious, and started to slip out of her chair. The guy on the other side of her and I each grabbed an arm, and we lowered her slowly to the floor.
I was surprised and pleased to find I still had the count after those two incidents. It comes with time.

Sucker

I remember that when I was first learning to count cards, I would purposely leave the TV on, and the sound at a high volume while I practiced. This was coupled with 3 screaming kids in the same room where I was practicing. I can't really be SURE that this is what did it, but when I finally went out to play for real, right from the get-go I never had much of a problem keeping the count with distractions going on around me.

southAP

In the book "repeat until rich" this situation come up for the author of the story, he is advised to repeat the RC in back of his head. Kind of like an annoying droning noise you would hear from a running motor. I've done it and it works pretty well. As stated earlier though, if you do it enough you'll keep the count without even thinking about it.

rrwoods

Rather than actually remembering a number, I visualize the text of the number. Like, in my "mind's eye" so-to-speak, against a black background will be the text "+4". Works like a charm (for me).

This comes in really really handy if I want to remember two things at once since I can devote almost literal space to things. So far the only reason I've done that is to try counting two tables at once, but nonetheless it was helpful.

aslan

rrwoods said:
Rather than actually remembering a number, I visualize the text of the number. Like, in my "mind's eye" so-to-speak, against a black background will be the text "+4". Works like a charm (for me).

This comes in really really handy if I want to remember two things at once since I can devote almost literal space to things. So far the only reason I've done that is to try counting two tables at once, but nonetheless it was helpful.
If you mean "+4" and not "plus four," which is the text of the number, I agree. I visualize it as a large three dimensional number.

BJLFS

Yesterday was one of those days that I started to lose the count after 2 - 3 rounds. So I stepped outside for some fresh air and it did seem to help. One thing I started to hold myself to is taking a break every so often; every hour. That helped for another 45 mins to an hour. Believe it or not after your counting gets better actually try to talk with the dealer and other players. It's not to good to focus on one thing all the time. Hope that helps.