shouldn't there be a way to figuar out the best betting strategy

Quinc

Maybe Ken can do this? Basic strategy came from doing millions of computer tests on bj hands to figuar out the long term way of playing blackjack. Isn't it possible to do the same thang but with betting? Have the same computers run threw millions of blackjack hands playing B.S and trying out all the diffrent betting strategies out there and seeing which ones win the most or lose the least? Of course you would have to set table limits and have a set bankroll. I don't know how complicated you would be able to make it though.

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
That's an easy one. If you're playing a game with a house edge, which includes almost all blackjack games with just basic strategy, the optimal strategy is to not play at all.

Short of that, the second best strategy is to bet the minimum on every hand.

Any betting system that increases your bets will cost you money.

Betting

Ken's answer is of course, dead on.
But flat betting is Boring....
So, players try some from of a progression.

There a best way to play your hands....Basic Strategy.
There is a best way to bet your hands.....Counting.

Is there a best way to bet for the progression player, that doesn't count cards ?????

Here are the results from 73 hands that I just played and recorded.
The senero is three guys, a flat better, a counter and a progression player (Oscars Grind) all decide to play.
But only the counter will play the hands (one spot).
They will "piggy back' their bets and he will play.
That way they are all using the same hands.
The deal is : They all start with $100 and it ends when (1) one of them doubles his money or (2) they have played one hour.

At the end of 73 hands : (which had a nice win percent of 52.03%)

Flat better +$32.50
Counter +$42.50
Oscar +$102.50

What does this prove.......Nothing. (other than they "fell right" for Oscar's Grind)

Three different methods and three different results, on the Same hands.

And again, I am NOT saying you should play Oscar's Grind.

Mikeaber

KenSmith said:
That's an easy one. If you're playing a game with a house edge, which includes almost all blackjack games with just basic strategy, the optimal strategy is to not play at all.

DAMN!!! That's what I've been trying to say all along and you summed it up in one nice sentence!

tedloc

Flat Bets

Midnite said:
Ken's answer is of course, dead on.
But flat betting is Boring....

Let me enter the fray about flat bets. Let me start by saying, I have only been on this site for a few months. It seems to me that most of US( myself included) are not big $ players. I haven't read may posts, where guys are playing with$25,000. We enjoy the game and are trying to make a few bucks, so we can keep playing. If I can break even, then I can play again tomorrow. Having played the game for over 40 years, I have made a few observations. Let me know, where I'm going wrong.

1. Two of us are playing against the dealer, using only single deck. We are making flat bets of $50. Eight cards are left. Seven 10's and a 7. I bet $250 and have a 12.5% chance of winning a 75% chance for a push and a 12.5% chance of losing. For me, two much risk.

2. Same scenearo. I make my flat BET OF $ 50, see that the dealer has a 7 up and split my 10's.

I have found over the years that although FLAT BETS may be boring, they will keep you in the game longer and allow you to play through a losing streak. Most of the time during a shoe, you are the underdog. Why double or triple your bet when your the underdog. Wait until you become the favorite (11 vs 10 9/9 vs 6) to raise the stakes. How many times have you increased your bet only to see the dealer, deal an Ace, check the hole card and turn up a BJ.

My contention is: if you feel like raising you bet up to $200, only put out $100 and wait until the cards are delt. See who has the advantage. Maybe if the count is very, very positive, you might decide to double your 7 vs the dealers 6. Although, I'm not recommending you do it, your no worse off than you would have been putting out the whole $200 befor the hand was delt.

What about this one. I know someone else should have come up with this by now.

Bet 1 unit. Win, keep winnings and bet again. Lose, bet again. Lose again, double bet. Keep doubling every loss. When you win, you are either even or ahead because of a blackjack, possibly far ahead if the blackjack comes late.

Now, with an unlimited bank, this is unbeatable. Limited, however, it just depends on what you play with and the minimum. On a $1 table you can lose 7 hands and come back with only $128.

Thoughts?

LeonShuffle

That's called the Martingale method. And with table limits and a limited bankroll, it's the fastest way to ruin. I once went 18 straight hands (on-line) without a win. 3 pushes, 15 losses (I think 5 or 6 of them were double down losses). Luckily, I was flat betting as I always do on-line.

New Strategy

OK, how about this? Bet one, win, bet one, lose, bet one, win, etc. When the Basic Strategy dictates, double down. When the count is favorable, up the bet according to the positive count...

Sorry, I just couldn't resist!

:joker:

Try this one

This one worked for me as i mentioned in previous posts.
And it still does.

Good Luck!

(Dead link: http://www.bettingpattern.blogspot.com)

LeonShuffle

Here's one that works for me: Bet 10, if you win bet 10 again, if you win again bet 50,000. If you win, quit and go home.

And I won't even charge for that one. That's a freebie. Enjoy.

Senacchrib

Here's one that works for me: Bet 10, if you win bet 10 again, if you win again bet 50,000. If you win, quit and go home.

And I won't even charge for that one. That's a freebie. Enjoy.
That is a good one, but I have a few better ones...

Here is my strategy. If you win a hand, buy everyone at your table drinks. If you lose, ask for the people to pay for your drinks. If you win and then lose, ask the people to pay you back. If you lose then win, then repay those people what they bought for you.

Or, even better one. Bet 20 dollars. If you win, send me the whatever you would up your bet by in paypal, and then continue to flat bet/send me paypal.

Enjoy :)

newyorkbear

Pretty much any strategy that has you increasing your bets after wins,then dropping back to your original bet after a loss will "work" better than one that has you increasing your bets after losses.Unless you get in a very choppy game that goes-Win $10,lose $15,win $10,lose $15 ect,ect.
What works for ME is not increasing my bets during losing streaks. This allows you to ride out that run with minimal losses. Increasing my bets fractionally when winning lets me win more in a sustained winning streak,IF one comes along.
Of course if you've won four hands in a row but the count is very much against you,you should bet according to the count,not the winning streak.
Or not,depending on the situation,the alignment of Mars and Pluto and several other factors too technical to get into.

Positive Progression

Being a newbie, with a renewed interest in the game, I lost $60 or so in Vegas a couple of weeks ago while at a trade show. I decided to get educated. Got back to Missouri and tried out basic strategy with no real betting strategy, except conservative bets. Turned $50 into $150 in an hour. Got up and walked away. Two nights later, I'd bought in at $90, and was down to about $20. The other players finally tapped out and it was just me and the dealer. At that point, he took mercy on me and said, "let me help you with your betting, now that those other jerks are gone."

The minimum bet was $10. His tip went like this. Bet minimum. After 2 consecutive wins, add $5 to your bet. If you win that, add another $5. And so on. When you lose, drop down to the minimum and stay there until the next 2 consecutive wins, then, start adding $5 per win.

Pretty soon, I was up to $260. I did have a nice couple of runs, getting up to a $40 bid.

I eventually dropped down to $205, at which point, I grabbed my chips, and just visited with the dealer for a while, making sure to leave a tip. Then left, up $115 for the night.

Tonight, I bought in at $60, same table, and got up to $155, before dropping down to $125, at which point I left, up $65. However, my winning streaks were much lower, not getting above a $25 bet.

Don't know what this progression is called, but I'll try it out a few more times before buying in a little higher.

Anybody got any tips to add to this strategy, or comments?

Dont bet progressivly negative

The pros on this site proclaim that I had the worst run of losses in the history of Black Jack, perhaps in the history of all card games.
That makes me the champion of all loosers right?
Using this perfect knowledge of loosing streaks I want to tell everyone - DO NOT Progessively bet your losses. This string has brought up several great points. The table limit will eventually kill you or your spouse will.
Flat betting will make you money if your patient. Black Jacks, Splits, and Double downs will eventually pay your way.
Walk away after 6 losses.
Increase your basic flat bet after you doubled your BR.
I still find myself increasing my flat bet before I doubled my bank but you know waht happens - I loose it.

Clicker said:
Flat betting will make you money if your patient. Black Jacks, Splits, and Double downs will eventually pay your way.
Walk away after 6 losses.
Increase your basic flat bet after you doubled your BR.
All of the above quote is BULL-SH*T! ... So what did Clicker really learn from this thread? zg(hint - close your eyes and tell me what you see)

Mikeaber

zengrifter said:
All of the above quote is BULL-SH*T! ... So what did Clicker really learn from this thread? zg(hint - close your eyes and tell me what you see)
Clicker.....we discussed this before but I must not have been clear enough. Flat betting using basic strategy alone will NOT make money. You are playing at a house edge of anywhere from .14% on a great double deck game up to around .63% on a 6-deck shoe. You have to have all of those Basic Strategy double downs and splits and blackjacks just to keep your loses down to the percentage represented by the house edge if you are flat betting. Keep in mind also that the house edge is calculated against the total amount you wager. That's why just playing "systems" based on streaks will not pay off in the long run. It will simply increase your losses because you are betting more than you would be by flat betting.

I do wish there was an "Easy Button" for winning at Blackjack. But there isn't. Counting or getting lucky and finding a dealer who is revealing hole cards is about the only way to really gain an advantage.

KenSmith said:

STRONGLY DISAGREE

:violin: