Small bet ridicoulously bad play!

Have you ever made a ridioucously bad play on a small bet?

• Yes

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • No

Votes: 19 57.6%

• Total voters

Cardcounter

Have you ever made a ridicuosly bad play with a small bet when you knew that the pit boss was watching just so the pit boss would stop watching you?
Is it worth to have a couple of give up hands to lesson the heat. When I say ridicously bad play I mean like staying on 11 or less or hitting hard 17 or more something your even average ploppy would know that you are not supposed to do it. Yes it costs you money to do it but is it worth it to make your self look retarded in the eyes of the pit? Once I stayed on 11 with a $5 bet because I knew the pit was watching at me to evaluate my play and possibly throw me out. Hopefully that one mistake was enough to keep me playing.

callipygian

I play with a pretty low advantage already (0.5 to 1 unit per hour) so I can't afford to throw away my money every time someone's watching.

Even if I wanted the cover, though, I don't think I'd make as obvious a mistake as standing on 11 or hitting hard 17 - those are things that not even the worst of the worst would do, and are (to me) suspicious in their own right. I'd put "stand on all stiffs" highest on the desirability scale.

Cardcounter said:
Have you ever made a ridicuosly bad play with a small bet when you knew that the pit boss was watching just so the pit boss would stop watching you?
Is it worth to have a couple of give up hands to lesson the heat. When I say ridicously bad play I mean like staying on 11 or less or hitting hard 17 or more something your even average ploppy would know that you are not supposed to do it. Yes it costs you money to do it but is it worth it to make your self look retarded in the eyes of the pit? Once I stayed on 11 with a $5 bet because I knew the pit was watching at me to evaluate my play and possibly throw me out. Hopefully that one mistake was enough to keep me playing.
Yes I had a hard 17 but I had seen the dealers hole card he had 18. I hit caught a 2 for 19. It was a $200 dollar bet if you call that small.

Unshake

A lot of cover plays (staying on 11...) aren't worth the loss in EV. Also, since you were playing red chips cover plays aren't as important, I'd probably bet pretty close to optimal and use very few cover plays.

moo321

I had a dealer accidentally flash her hole card, and I misread it by one rank. 8 showing, thought I saw an 8 in the hole, so I started splitting tens. Got out to 8 hands (was playing 3 hands, and got a 20 on each one), she flips her hole card, and IT'S A 9!!!!

Blue Efficacy

A play as severely bad as staying on 11 or less or hitting hard 17 tells the pit you're either very stupid... or very smart. Either one is less desirable than staying off the radar.

Kaiser

I've done a few slightly bad plays for cover, but I don't think I could ever make myself stand on an 11. That's a play that no player, no matter how friggin' stupid, would EVER do.

blackchipjim

I wouldn't...

I would not use a ridiculous bad for a few reason's. The most importand being is it labels you first an idiot. Then you turn around play plays that only a seasoned player would take then you just sealed your fate. Marginal bad plays are ok to pull on the dealers and pit bosses really bad plays do the opposite of what you are trying to achieve. Moderation of use of camo plays is important too many or too stupid has the same effect and draws attention to your play. blackchipjim

Cardcounter

retarded

InPlay said:
Yes I had a hard 17 but I had seen the dealers hole card he had 18. I hit caught a 2 for 19. It was a $200 dollar bet if you call that small.
Two things that is not a stupid play if you actually saw the dealers hole card and you saw that he had 18 and a $200 bet is not a small bet that is actually a decent size bet.

I feel that staying on 11 or less is always the wrong play and it can't even been done effectively but a play such as splitting ten's or hitting hard 17 could be done if you had special knowledge of the cards. Like you saw the dealers hole card and he has 18 when you have 17. Or the dealer showing a 5 and the true count is plus 10 and you have 10's.

Harman

I once doubled on a 20 :grin:

Got an Ace... nah, got another 10, to the dissaproval of a fellow gambler who had a 4,7 in front of him :laugh:

*Note* this was a laugh with friends, not a serious card counting session, don't worry :)

TENNBEAR

Cover Play, Double down on a 10 against a dealer 10 when being watched, gives up very little to the house, but stands out as a bad play.

Last edited:

eandre

TENNBEAR said:
Cover Play, Double down on a 10 against a dealer 10 when being watched, gives up very little to the house, but stands out as a bad play.
Actually, not. If the tc high enough...that's a pretty good A/P move in a 6 deck shoe, especially if the table composition of the last two rounds indicates a weak hole card.

eandre said:
Actually, not. If the tc high enough...that's a pretty good A/P move in a 6 deck shoe, especially if the table composition of the last two rounds indicates a weak hole card.
That's what I'd have thought - any deliberate play against BS could always work and if it was that ridiculous it may give you more heat?

e.g Split 10s and catch 2 more 10s looks like you've got the count off pat

Renzey

Please Explain

eandre said:
If the TC is quite high, indeed doubling with 10 vs. 10 is a correct play. But if the TC is quite high, how could the table composition of the last two rounds indicate a weak dealer's hole card?

eandre

Renzey said:
If the TC is quite high, indeed doubling with 10 vs. 10 is a correct play. But if the TC is quite high, how could the table composition of the last two rounds indicate a weak dealer's hole card?
What if you just saw a table full of 8's, 9's and a great mix that didn't impact the count...guess hole card predicting is a voodoo technique?

Last edited:

eandre

eandre said:
What if you just saw a table full of 8's, 9's and a great mix that didn't impact the count...guess hole card predicting is a voodoo technique?
Renzy...where is you??????? I'm a fan of yours and feel honored that you called me...