splitting 10s

I was reading a certain blackjack book in which the author recounts a hand in which it was "basic strategy" to split 10s (I forget whether they were actually 10s or face cards). I thought that one should always stand with 10-10, in every situation. Is there ever a situation in which one would split 10s or face cards?

BAMA21

Splitting tens is a valid index move for some counting systems, so in that sense, it is "basic strategy" to do so if the situation calls for it. However, it is not a part of any generic basic strategy chart I've ever seen, so the non-counter should leave that move out of their bag of tricks.

Aside from the heat you'll feel from the other players at the table, there is another good reason why even card counters should think twice before using this move. Someone posted on a board I was reading once that as soon as you split tens the pit boss will know that you are either stupid or counting. So unless you already have him convinced that you're stupid, it probably won't take him long from there to figure out which applies to you.