Splitting fours

Dopple

It looks to me like splitting fours is not advised at any count. Seems like you would have alot of chances to das. I would think it would be a good move on a high count against a 5 or 6.

wvbjplayer

Dopple said:
It looks to me like splitting fours is not advised at any count. Seems like you would have alot of chances to das. I would think it would be a good move on a high count against a 5 or 6.
I usually do it in slightly negative counts, which maximizes the odds of getting at least one good DAS (you want those 5's & 6's, or, better yet, a 7) - w/out negating the whole point of a DAS, which is to get a high third card (8, 9, or 10). You also don't totally negate the likelihood of the dealer's busting, which on a 15 or 16 he's apt to do in all but a substantially negative count (and if he has a small card in the hole, he's unlikely to outdraw you). But, split 4's in too high a count and you're apt to get stuck w/ two 14s, and thus forced to depend entirely on the dealer's busting. Nobody wants to do THAT, if he can avoid it. ;-)

Anyway, that's how *I* normally play it, and so far it's been workin' pretty well.

wvbjplayer

bjcount

Original RPC indices do not split 4's at all, but using the ZEN indices at 1/2DTC conversion, the indices are: (DAS)
vs 3 @ +7
vs 4 @ +2
vs 5 @ -1
vs 6 @ -5

which I added to my play with RPC.

BJC

Last edited:
Dopple said:

What kind of game are you talking about ? It's time to send you back to basic training.

ihate17

check out your BS chart

Dopple said:
If you are playing a game that does not permit DAS you are correct.
If you are playing a game that does permit DAS then simple basic strategy calls for splitting 4,4 vs 5 and 6. I will not go into counting indices for this split because before you ever attempt to learn a card counting system, you need to learn basic strategy.

ihate17

Dopple

I have the Uston APC indices right in my wallet and 4,4 is blank across the entire range of dealer up cards.

Okay, I will go back to basic training. Sorry to waste your valuable time.

Dopple

My bad bad bad

I have the wrong split matrix. Glad I posted and thanks to all for the help.

I really am not all that new to counting I just got my matrices mixed up.

Much appreciation.