Ultimatebet Cheating Scandal

Kasi said:
O. Well then. I stand corrected.

Hereinafter, playing poker with a marked deck of cards and knowing everyone's down cards shall be known as a "gambling scheme".

Can I give you full credit and just always refer to it as "Zengrifter's Marvelous Gambling Scheme"?

Which do you admire more? That he could hack some software to cheat or that he could cheat and get away with it?

Or perhaps is it the grandiose scale of it? That he stole millions from people?

Maybe getting away with it is what you really like about it - the perfect crime?

We all have our heroes.
Can I not marvel at the audacity of a crime yet not admire it or the perps? zg

aslan

zengrifter said:
Can I not marvel at the audacity of a crime yet not admire it or the perps? zg
You can and it was a clever scam. I haven't read all these articles, but I was told about it by a friend who plays on Ultimate Bet or whatever the name is. But it wasn't the company that was cheating, it was a programmer who programmed a back door, which they later used to go in and set it up to see everyone's hole cards. One of the reasons they got caught was their greed. It was too suspicious to seasoned players when they would stay on hands that simply didn't warrant it. They did this over and over again, making it apparent to some that something was not right. My friend said the company has paid back $1.6 million, and plans to return another $15 million. I believe they have a history of all the hands played so that they can go back and see who was cheated and how much they lost to the cheaters. With all the scrutiny leveled at their site, they are probably the safest online poker site of all. Who knows what might be going on at the other sites, but you'd have to be crazy to continue any cheat on this site.

I never gamble online. I mean, just this past week we have the Russians hacking into Pentagon computers! If they can get into the Pentagon, what site is safe? With computers, anything is possible.

aslan said:
You can and it was a clever scam. I haven't read all these articles, but I was told about it by a friend who plays on Ultimate Bet or whatever the name is. But it wasn't the company that was cheating, it was a programmer who programmed a back door, which they later used to go in and set it up to see everyone's hole cards. One of the reasons they got caught was their greed. It was too suspicious to seasoned players when they would stay on hands that simply didn't warrant it. They did this over and over again, making it apparent to some that something was not right. My friend said the company has paid back $1.6 million, and plans to return another $15 million. I believe they have a history of all the hands played so that they can go back and see who was cheated and how much they lost to the cheaters. With all the scrutiny leveled at their site, they are probably the safest online poker site of all. Who knows what might be going on at the other sites, but you'd have to be crazy to continue any cheat on this site.

I never gamble online. I mean, just this past week we have the Russians hacking into Pentagon computers! If they can get into the Pentagon, what site is safe? With computers, anything is possible.
The president was in on it.

BTW, I used online gambling websites as a pretense for laundering money
for government stings in the late '90s - wasn't revealed in ZGI. zg

glovesetc

IU would not

gamble or place a bet online aslan with your money or even Zens money . Never held an interest for me I feel bad for those who have been cheated though . I hope they are all made whole . Yes it is true if they can hack into the pentagon they can hack in anywhere . There are geeks out there who can always find the backdoor. The backdoor by the way is installed on most computers and programs you buy today so they can get in if a password is locked up or lost .

:):grin:;):rolleyes::laugh::eek::cool::cool2:

Kasi said:
O. Well then. I stand corrected.

Hereinafter, playing poker with a marked deck of cards and knowing everyone's down cards shall be known as a "gambling scheme".

Can I give you full credit and just always refer to it as "Zengrifter's Marvelous Gambling Scheme"?

Which do you admire more? That he could hack some software to cheat or that he could cheat and get away with it?

Or perhaps is it the grandiose scale of it? That he stole millions from people?

Maybe getting away with it is what you really like about it - the perfect crime?

We all have our heroes.
Russ Hamilton is the founder of UBT - much promoted here and at Ken's other site - lets show a little respect! zg

aslan

zengrifter said:
Russ Hamilton is the founder of UBT - much promoted here and at Ken's other site - lets show a little respect! zg
A little research and I see that my friend was actually a member of Absolute Poker, not Ultimate Bet, BOTH of which were subject to cheating schemes in which players' hole cards were compromised through software intervention. Was there any connection, I wonder, between the two incidents?

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
zengrifter said:
That's Russ Hamilton, founder of UBT. Am I correct, Ken?
Yes, the founder of UBT is alleged to be the main culprit behind the Ultimate Bet scandal. I don't know if this is just a big smokescreen or if he's the real mastermind. Either way, I hope whoever is truly responsible ends up doing time for the crime.

KenSmith said:
Yes, the founder of UBT is alleged to be the main culprit behind the Ultimate Bet scandal. I don't know if this is just a big smokescreen or if he's the real mastermind. Either way, I hope whoever is truly responsible ends up doing time for the crime.
Russ pictured lower right in promo shot. zg