When do you work out the true count?

I'm confused as to when to work out the true count,is it very after every 5 hands or so? and the true count is when you divide the amount of decks left to your running count? correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

Sucker

You need to be able to have a good estimation of the TC at all times. And depending upon which system you're using, the formula for figuring the true count is: Running count divided by number of decks left. Example: The RC is 8, and there are 2 decks remaining. The TC is 4.

The reason I'm saying it depends upon which system you're using:
Some - if not MOST; card counting systems go by HALF-decks remaining, rather than DECKS. So; for the previous example, even though there are two decks left, there are FOUR half-decks left, therefore the running count is 2.

****Make sure you know which method YOUR system calls for!****

gothic

Basically, decide what is important in a counting system and you'll know why and when to know the TC (which is pretty much all the time):

1) Betting correlation: Anytime it is time to place a bet, you gotta know the TC.

2) Playing Efficiency: Woah, two queens and the dealer shows a five! So... what you do next depends on the current TC, doesn't it?

3) Need Insurance? Depends on what the TC is.

So yeah, you gotta have the TC figured out as the RC and # of decks remaining changes. I get the RC, then when cards stop flowing for half a sec, I convert and pay attention to the denominator (decks remaining); if it's a shoe game and there are four decks left a RC 6 is not so different from a RC 8. Waaay different than having one third of a deck played in a single-decker and having the RC going from 6 to 8! Imagine if you were at a RC of 3 at 3/4 decks remaining and you calculated your TC, and then after another round you were at 1/2 deck and the TC changed to +4 and you DIDN'T recalculate; trust me, you lost out on an opportunity to bet big :cry:

Hope this helps ;)

sloppy camo

Before insurance decision.

Before playing decision, if a potential indice hand. The decision of how to play the hand is generally clear before the play gets to you. However, sometimes that last card before your hand makes a difference.

If you want to be precise with your bets then before every bet. An easy form of camo is to just be imprecise with your bets, so not necessary to get exact TC before every round.

chessplayer

For Hi lo and silver fox the decks to divide is single deck. However, for multi level counts , like uston ss, it is more confusing.

Sucker said:
You need to be able to have a good estimation of the TC at all times. And depending upon which system you're using, the formula for figuring the true count is: Running count divided by number of decks left. Example: The RC is 8, and there are 2 decks remaining. The TC is 4.

The reason I'm saying it depends upon which system you're using:
Some - if not MOST; card counting systems go by HALF-decks remaining, rather than DECKS. So; for the previous example, even though there are two decks left, there are FOUR half-decks left, therefore the running count is 2.

****Make sure you know which method YOUR system calls for!****

StandardDeviant

I use Hi-Lo and I am pretty casual about TC (perhaps I am making a mistake :eek:). Much of the time the RC is low and I don't bother calculating the TC. If the RC gets too negative, I know I'll be wonging out. When the RC starts to rise, I pay more attention, usually at the end of the hand, when the dealer clears the table, I'll let my eyes follow her hands to the discard tray.

Since I am only working full decks, I can keep a general idea of how many decks are left without looking at the tray every minute.

Too casual?

StandardDeviant

Avoid the Math

I think another shortcut, which avoids some of the math, is to memorize some of the key RCs. For example in 6D, with Hi-Lo, if I am going to ramp my bet when TC>1, I know in advance that with 1 deck in the tray, I need a RC of about 5 or better. Once I get 2+ decks in the tray I'm in the 4 or better zone, 3 in the tray is 3 or better, etc.

During play, I don't have to do the division, I just remember my key RC "trigger points." To a certain extent, looking at the tray can be done casually, every few hands or so, as long as one can remember, generally, how far into the shoe we are.

21gunsalute

You need to calculate TC before every hand for betting purposes and then you may need to recalculate it before you play your hand to make the proper index plays.