Where angels fear to go or "My day at the 6:5 table"

Martin Gayle

NewB,
Why are you defending this guy? He has been getting lucky and is not playing with an advantage. You will be able to spread big at most places. Remember you are playing with around a 3% HE in a neutral count.

Just because the guy at Grosjean's site has only one post doesn't mean he is wrong.

If a dude goes on a good run at roulette and has experienced a lifetime win do you consider him an AP?

UK-21

Martin Gayle said:
NewB,
Why are you defending this guy?
I re-read his initial post this morning. Not once (at least as far as I could see - perhaps I'm wrong) does he offer advice or encourage others to do what he has found works for him - albeit his results buck longer term mathematical probabilities. I suppose it's a bit of a free speech matter - he seems to me to be on the end of a drubbing for making a posting to the effect that he chooses to play a game that statistically is a loser, and presumably will continue to do so. If he's under the impression his method of play, and spreads, gives him a longer term advantage he is (sorry was) mistaken - but his results are on the pos side of the bell curve and the $$$$s are in the bank (for the moment, granted).

For those of us who enjoy playing BJ for entertainment and the experience, and not with the intention of making money, the proposition of playing SD 6/5 BJ (albeit at a disadvantage) may be more appealing, and the experience more enjoyable, than doing the mathematically correct things that result in achieving a positive rather than negative expectation. Sorry if that sounds heresy, but there you go.

Mrs Newb and I do intend to visit LV at some stage. Having travelled half way around the world for a once in a lifetime visit to Sin City, I'm certainly not going to sit on the sidelines and not take part in the sin by refusing to play any particular game because the EV is -30% rather than +30%. A personal choice. I don't expect everyone will agree with it, but frankly I don't really care - in the same way that drivers who drive 4x4s that only manage 12mpg and never leave the highway don't really care what others think either. There's more to driving a car than merely getting from point A to point B.

I like this board as it tends to accommodate everyone, even those who knowingly, or otherwise, play games with a -EV. The moment it's name is changed from blackjackinfo to advantageplayersonly.com I'm afraid I will have to leave.

So there we are. Not really defending the original contributor as such, more having a playful poke at the "APs" who have been quick to throw buns in his direction. The difference is I haven't called anyone a "troll". Bless.

Katweezel

Sonny said:
Even the pro players seem to agree with our general consensus.

(Dead link: http://www.beyondcounting.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=108)

-Sonny-
As his reference, Sonny is now quoting posts from other boards to make a point; boards which may be more ah, professional? Good to see Fred gets a mention. To go with this new trend, some quotes from another board I found might also be appropriate:

http://www.ListentoIrish&WinBigTimeDontDDS17V5UIdiot.com.USA