Craps Master
Well-Known Member
Which game is more profitable poker or blackjack for the A.P. player?
For this question there is no one right answer. It totally depends on the player for Phil Ivey, or Daniel Negranu, or Doyle Brunson it is poker. For me it is blackjack. The best blackjack players have a 1% advantage the best poker players probably have a 10% advantage after rakes and tipping. Poker probably has the highest advantage among expert players.
I agree that it depends on the player, but probably not the way you think it does. I think for normal people who are willing to work hard at it, poker and blackjack represent similar levels of profitability. For people who are extremely talented, poker becomes substantially more profitable. I suspect, for instance, that Phil Ivey has made more money playing poker in the last five years than any blackjack player in the world in that same period. So, too, with a number of other very talented poker players. And that's just from playing poker. High profile players also make a bunch of money through affiliation with major poker sites and other types of sponsorship/endorsement deals. But, as I said, that doesn't apply to most of us. For most people who work hard and who approach blackjack or poker seriously and don't have problematic habits or shortcomings, they will find that they are similarly profitable. Some may be better at one or the other, but, on average, the profitability will be similar.