Ultimatebet Cheating Scandal

ULTIMATEBET ISSUES STATEMENT REGARDING UNFAIR PLAY

MONTREAL, CANADA (MAY 29, 2008) --- Tokwiro Enterprises ENRG ("Tokwiro"), proprietors of UltimateBet.com ("UltimateBet"), one of the world's largest online card rooms, today announced the results of its lengthy investigation into allegations of unfair play, which was triggered by concerns about an account named 'NioNio'. Tokwiro has worked diligently in cooperation with its regulatory body, the Kahnawake Gaming Commission ("KGC"), and with independent third-party experts to conduct a thorough investigation that included a comprehensive review of hand histories and game data, thorough analyses of software and network security, and audits of its security practices and procedures.

The investigation has concluded that certain player accounts did in fact have an unfair advantage, and that these accounts targeted the highest limit games on the site. The individuals responsible were found to have worked for the previous ownership of UltimateBet prior to the sale of the business to Tokwiro in October 2006. Tokwiro is taking full responsibility for this situation and will immediately begin refunding UltimateBet customers for any losses that were incurred as a result of unfair play.

The fraudulent activity was enabled by unauthorized software code that allowed the perpetrators to obtain hole card information during live play.

MORE- http://www.ultimatebet.com/poker-news/2008/may/nionio-findings (Archive copy)

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MSNBC.com[/FONT]

Poker site cheating plot a high-stakes whodunit

$75 million claim filed against Canadian software firm with murky pedigree

EXCLUSIVE

By Mike Brunker
Projects Team editor

MSNBC
updated 6:09 a.m. PT, Thurs., Sept. 18, 2008

Allegations that cheaters manipulated the software powering a leading Internet poker site so they could see their opponents' hole cards have triggered a $75 million claim against a Canadian company, msnbc.com has learned.

The alleged subterfuge on UltimateBet.com — one of the 10 top poker sites — is the biggest known case of fraud targeting an Internet gambling site and its customers, according to the company that owns the site. It is similar to a case of cheating that occurred last year on UltimateBet’s sister site, AbsolutePoker.com, but this time the thieves ran the scheme for far longer — at least from January 2005 to January 2008, it said.

Word of the $75 million U.S. claim ($80 million Canadian) — the first indication of the scope of the alleged cheating — emerged this week when msnbc.com contacted a court-appointed liquidator overseeing the voluntary dismemberment of Excapsa Software Inc. of Toronto, which formerly owned and licensed the poker software to UltimateBet and other gambling sites. The claim was filed by Blast-Off Ltd. of Malta, a private company that currently has an ownership interest in Ultimate Bet.

“We’re taking it seriously and are in contact with the stakeholders with a goal of settling the claim,” said the liquidator, Sheldon Krakower, president of XMT Liquidations Inc. “… It’s a very touchy situation. We’re just trying to get everything done.”

Krakower said the amount of the claim did not directly correlate with the amount believed to have been stolen from UltimateBet players, but he declined to provide additional details. He said he was hopeful that the parties were nearing a settlement.

The unprecedented claim is just the latest twist in a slowly unfolding whodunit that began more than nine months ago when poker players posted comments about suspicious play on UltimateBet in an Internet poker forum. It’s a mystery steeped in international intrigue and featuring a cast of characters that includes some of the world’s most famous poker players, the former grand chief of a Canadian Mohawk community and executives of a secretive Oregon Internet security company.

The company that claims ownership of UltimateBet — Tokwiro Enterprises, headquartered in the Kahnawake Mohawk Territory in southern Canada — has issued some refunds and promised to repay any players who lost money once an outside investigation is completed. But many players who haven’t received credits remain fearful they will never see a dime.

‘Who's going to make them pay?’

“I know I’m not going to get my money,” one dejected player, Daniel Cardoso of Utah, told msnbc.com. Cardoso believes he lost several thousand dollars through the alleged scheme but has not been able to obtain records from UltimateBet to verify that. “I know there are thousands of people who aren’t going to get reimbursed.”

Adding to the sense of mistrust is the fact that Tokwiro Enterprises apparently is owned by Joseph Norton, the former grand chief of the Kahnawake Mohawks, who helped establish the territory as North America’s only bastion of Internet gambling.

“Who’s going to make them pay?” asked Nat Arem, a professional poker player and blogger who helped unravel the alleged cheating rings at UltimateBet and Absolute Poker, referring to Excapsa. “What court is this going to end up in?”

Though most forms of Internet gambling, including online poker, are considered illegal by the U.S. government, millions of players routinely risk their cash on the virtual version of the popular card game, ignoring the fact that many of the Web sites are unregulated or loosely regulated and are based in jurisdictions where a player would likely have no legal recourse in the event of wrongdoing.

Ethan Miller / Getty Images file
Annie Duke is one of many high-profile
poker players who appear in
UltimateBet.com television commercials.

UltimateBet is a popular destination for these players, largely because of its television advertisements featuring famous players such as Phil Hellmuth, the winningest player in the history of the World Series of Poker, with 11 victories, and Annie Duke, arguably the best-known female poker pro. UltimateBet and other poker sites are able to advertise on television by promoting free “play for fun” sites instead of their cash games, which are just a few clicks away.

As was the case in the Absolute Poker scandal last year, the UltimateBet case was uncovered by the players rather than Tokwiro Enterprises or the Kahnawake Gaming Commission, the agency charged with regulating online gambling from the Kahnawake territory, just south of Montreal across the St. Lawrence River.

Players aired suspicions in January

Suspicious players wrote in a Jan. 8 post on the Two Plus Two online poker forum that they had noticed that certain players in the highest-stakes games on UltimateBet were playing extremely unusual strategies and winning at an unbelievably high rate. (Click here to read a synopsis of the early posts.)

Two of the players — known by the screen names “trambopoline” and “dlpnyc21” — reviewed their hand histories and found that one account in particular, using the screen name “NioNio,” was making a killing, having banked an astonishing $300,000 profit in just 3,000 hands. They turned to the MyPokerIntel.com Web site, which tracks high-stakes online tournaments, where many thousands of dollars can change hands, and found that NioNio had won in 13 of the 14 sessions recorded there, cashing out with approximately $135,000.

When that information was posted, Michael Josem, a mathematics-minded Australian poker player, charted NioNio’s results in comparison to the results of 870 “normal” accounts with at least 2,500 hands recorded by poker-tracking software. The result, seen at left, showed that NioNio’s win rate was 10 standard deviations above the mean, or less likely than “winning a one-in-a-million lottery on four consecutive days," Josem said.

As the players continued to dig, they concluded that NioNio was at the center of a web of accounts that were able to change user names with ease, making it harder for victims to detect the cheating.

MORE- http://www.nbcnews.com/id/26563848/

glovesetc

Great post zen

but I wonder why people would play online anyhow ??? There is too much of an opportunity to cheat with cell phones , computers, and high tech innovations . P.T. Barnum summed it up best - " There is a sucker born every minute " and it seems they ended up playing net B.J. and poker . Better them then me or anyone here on the forum as well .:):grin:;):cool::laugh::cool2:

cardcounter0

gosh, back in the days of Party Poker I use to clear a good $600-$800 a month playing a few hours in my spare time during the evening.

Do I have to return the money?

>> I never played on UB and very little at Absolute Poker, the two sites mentioned in this article.

Blue Efficacy

cardcounter0 said:
gosh, back in the days of Party Poker I use to clear a good $600-$800 a month playing a few hours in my spare time during the evening.

Do I have to return the money?

>> I never played on UB and very little at Absolute Poker, the two sites mentioned in this article.
Did you cheat?

cardcounter0

if beating up on the goobers that use to inhabit Party Poker is cheating, then yes, I cheated constantly.
:laugh:

Never played UB because of their extremely poor customer service and support. Absolute Poker had their bonus program conditions such that the tables were filled with tight nits slowly grinding and folding their way to bonus money and afraid to put any money in the pot.

I much prefered taking the loose wild easy money on Party Poker, where 1/2 the table was usually clueless.
:joker:

N&B

Even scarier... look at NioNio (i-oNioN) 150% Win Rate at about 60% contribution... then look at the area of 150% Loss Rate with 60% contribution. Its not even a profitable situation based on the dots very close to this horizontal line. :eek:

Russ Hamilton Reportedly Behind UltimateBet Cheating Scam

BY: BOB PAJICH | [email protected]
PUBLISHED: Monday Sep 29, 2008 04:52 PM

Company Hired by Kahnawake Gaming Commission Fingers Him

UPDATE: The sum $60 million, which appeared initially in the IGamingNews report, was incorrect. The sum should instead be $6.1 million, as it now stands.

Russ Hamilton aka NioNio?

A gaming consulting firm run by the former New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement has uncovered the man mainly responsible for the cheating scandal that bilked players out of more than $6.1 million on UltimateBet.com, and he’s a former World Series of Poker champion.

Russ Hamilton is named as the main perpetrator behind the scam, according to a report published today by IGamingNews, which references the commission’s interim report. The full report is due November.

The Kahnawake Gaming Commission (KGC), which licenses many of the online poker and gambling sites, hired former New Jersey Assistant Attorney General Frank Catania Sr.’s Catania Gaming Consultants to find out just who it was that perpetrated the cheating scam that used “superuser” accounts for 3.5 years to view opponents’ holecards. The firm named Hamilton, who won the WSOP main event in 1994. According to IGamingNews, he gained behind-the-scenes access as part of UltimateBet’s affiliate program team.

The scheme was uncovered by online players who noticed questionable play and began charting the suspicious players. Under pressure from these players, the KGC was forced to do a complete investigation, which is coming to a close. Other names of cheaters are expected to be released soon.

The KGC will try to work with law enforcement authorities to prosecute the cheaters.

So far, about $6 million has been returned to players.

The company will also have to remove all employees who CGC names as a threat to the security of the site, even if people with ownership stakes in the company are named. UltimateBet will also be fined $1.5 million.

xxx

How Online Gamblers Unmasked Cheaters

Nov. 30, 2008

(CBS) In the wild, wild west, when a poker player was caught cheating it was a capital offense, with the punishment quickly dispensed right across the card table. But today if you're caught cheating in the popular and lucrative world of Internet poker, you may get away scot-free.

At least that seems to be what is happening in the biggest scandal in the history of online gambling. A small group of people managed to cheat players out of more than $20 million.

And it would have gone undetected if it hadn't been for the players themselves, who used the Internet to root out the corruption. As a joint investigation by 60 Minutes and The Washington Post reveals, it raises new questions about the integrity and security of the shadowy and highly profitable industry that operates outside U.S. law.

MORE WITH 60 MINUTES VIDEO- http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-online-gamblers-unmasked-cheaters/

ranran

I saw that piece and heard a couple "odd" statements.

1) "It is illegal to gamble online in the USA."
It is illegal if the jurisdiction in which you reside has a ban on internet gambling.

2) " it is illegal to gamble online in Canada."
Never new this at all.

glovesetc said:
Good read and the 60 minutes expose was good as well . Hope it puts them out of business big time . I never played online so it does not affect me but the poor people who got screwed did not deserve it in my opinion .

:):grin:;):rolleyes::laugh::eek::cool::cool2:
Russ Hamilton's NioNio scam was marvelous and goes down in the
annals of gambling schemes! Especially IF he gets away with it! zg

jack.jackson

zengrifter said:

How Online Gamblers Unmasked Cheaters

Nov. 30, 2008

(CBS) In the wild, wild west, when a poker player was caught cheating it was a capital offense, with the punishment quickly dispensed right across the card table. But today if you're caught cheating in the popular and lucrative world of Internet poker, you may get away scot-free.

At least that seems to be what is happening in the biggest scandal in the history of online gambling. A small group of people managed to cheat players out of more than $20 million.

And it would have gone undetected if it hadn't been for the players themselves, who used the Internet to root out the corruption. As a joint investigation by 60 Minutes and The Washington Post reveals, it raises new questions about the integrity and security of the shadowy and highly profitable industry that operates outside U.S. law.

MORE WITH 60 MINUTES VIDEO- http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-online-gamblers-unmasked-cheaters/
glovesetc said:
Good read and the 60 minutes expose was good as well . Hope it puts them out of business big time . I never played online so it does not affect me but the poor people who got screwed did not deserve it in my opinion .

:):grin:;):rolleyes::laugh::cool2:

I just noticed ZG, beat me to the story:eek:

I dont gamble online either and probably never will, for the simple fact yhat you can never be 100% certain whether or not your getting a fair shake. That too is a gamble, and as unfortunate as it is, it just happened to be a bet that these guys lost.

Their actually having a hard prosecuting these guys, due to diplomacy issues.

I wouldnt be surprised if Cipher was behind this:whip:

Last edited:

Kasi

zengrifter said:
Russ Hamilton's NioNio scam was marvelous and goes down in the
annals of gambling schemes! Especially IF he gets away with it! zg
Huh?

What's so marvelous about it?

You call it gambling when you can see everyone's hand every round so he can steal other people's money?

Kasi said:
You call it gambling when you can see everyone's hand every round so he can steal other people's money?
I didn't call it gambling, I called it "gambling scheme" and the entire history of gambling has been liberally sprinkled with schemes. zg

Kasi

zengrifter said:
I didn't call it gambling, I called it "gambling scheme" and the entire history of gambling has been liberally sprinkled with schemes. zg
O. Well then. I stand corrected.

Hereinafter, playing poker with a marked deck of cards and knowing everyone's down cards shall be known as a "gambling scheme".

Can I give you full credit and just always refer to it as "Zengrifter's Marvelous Gambling Scheme"?

Which do you admire more? That he could hack some software to cheat or that he could cheat and get away with it?

Or perhaps is it the grandiose scale of it? That he stole millions from people?

Maybe getting away with it is what you really like about it - the perfect crime?

We all have our heroes.