Chat lurkers

bjcount

This guys been lurking around the chat room speechless for hours at a time. Early Am to Late PM

He's disturbing the sanctity of the chat room to a point where it impairs our ability to speak openly with others.

Something must be done.

Please.

Thank you

BJC

k_c

bjcount said:
This guys been lurking around the chat room speechless for hours at a time. Early Am to Late PM

He's disturbing the sanctity of the chat room to a point where it impairs our ability to speak openly with others.

Something must be done.

Please.

Thank you

BJC
This may apply to me.

I have been working on a project and I log in to chat with iCountNTrack about the project. Sometimes we arrange to chat at a predetermined time.

As a moderator he has the ability to chat in a private window while being logged off in the main window whereas I can't do this and am always logged on while we are communicating in the private window.

Sometimes we are the only ones in the chat room so there is no problem but as others enter I have mentioned on occasion that they will think I'm sleeping.

I apologize if this has made anyone uncomfortable.

Chatting it up

I have had a problem even logging onto the official chat section but finally got on it from another computer the other day, since I saw about 8 people in the chat thing. I noticed no one was typing anything (other than me)... I popped in a few comments like "Talkative bunch" and "Geez, just can't shut you guys up" after a few minutes being the eternal smart ass that I am. I stayed about 5 minutes or so and quickly realized that I was gaining little from it all other than accumulating stagnant time that I could be reading something of value someplace or flipping a few cards or practicing estimation of quarter decks or writing an email or....even... doing my laundry might end up being more productive than sitting here, so I bailed.

RJT

I'm not sure that the time out feature will sort this particular issue - i don't think this is a case of someone walking away from the computer, rather deliberately observing without contributing, so they can just log back in if they get signed out.
I do agree that this particular person (using 3 greek letters as their handle) is a consern and of a suspicious nature.
Btw tarzan - i was on the other day, just involved in private chats and didn't look at the main screen.

RJT.

SleightOfHand

I admit I am guilty of this. Often I would log in, and use the floating chat button. After finished chatting, I would exit out of the window, thinking it would log me off, but would actually just bring it back to the original window it was in, having me logged in for hours (maybe on a few occasions, days) at a time.

nightspirit

Well, me too. :eek: I always have a bunch of tabs open, checking mails, feeds and the social sites besides the chat... err I mean, reading through all the posts at BJI I missed during the day.... :) Didn't want to offend someone with the silence...

bjcount

Thanks Ken,

I think the auto timeout feature is good when were not in a "special" guest chat session.

My OP was "modified" slightly as I was directing it towards the guy RJT refers to.

Sometimes, although very rarely, the cats got my tongue too and I have nothing to say. :) , but meanwhile I enjoy reading the on going conversation.

BJC

bjcount

KenSmith said:
Idle timeout now enabled again, as well as another unnamed feature that may help out.
Ken,

Is it my screen only or is the user list in the chat room gone so we cant see who else is in there?

BJC

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure how I managed to disable the userlist. Probably an errant click while in the control panel. Sorry 'bout that. All fixed now.

ExhibitCAA

I don't think Autologout is the answer, unless perhaps Autologout applied to anyone less than a Senior Member, or perhaps Autologout in effect whenever there are 6 or more people in the room.

There is a nice benefit to NOT having the autologout--namely, the shill effect. Someone can sit around multitasking, but logged into the chat room so that if anyone else does show up, a chat can occur. Staying logged into the chat is a way to say, "I'm here to chat if someone wants to." Many good, spontaneous chats have occurred with ultimately many participants due to this shill effect. I don't think that this benefit should be eliminated due to one suspicious apple in the bushel.

Homeschool

I don't think Autologout is the answer, unless perhaps Autologout applied to anyone less than a Senior Member, or perhaps Autologout in effect whenever there are 6 or more people in the room.

There is a nice benefit to NOT having the autologout--namely, the shill effect. Someone can sit around multitasking, but logged into the chat room so that if anyone else does show up, a chat can occur. Staying logged into the chat is a way to say, "I'm here to chat if someone wants to." Many good, spontaneous chats have occurred with ultimately many participants due to this shill effect. I don't think that this benefit should be eliminated due to one suspicious apple in the bushel.
CAA is right. The autologout would negate the purpose of having a chat except for the designated times (for the most part).

What about having a minimum amount of posts to make someone eligible for chat? While this may cause a newbie to make a few posts before being eligible for tutoring in chat, I also do not recall the person in question ever posting (correct me if i"m wrong).

Homeschool

D

Deleted member 3798

Fair warning

KenSmith said:
"Forum Rules

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below... By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws..."
Dear Ken, please warn your newcomers that all suspicious lurkers will be banned from the chatroom. BTW, I found a formula which will help posters to become everyday Saints:

"...Forgive we now each other's faults
As we our faults confess;
And let us love each other well
In Christian holiness.
Let strife among us be unknown,
Let all contention cease..."

By Omer Westendorf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_UjQwQY7jU

johndoe

Timeout

I agree with CAA and Homeschool; the auto-logout is a real pain, not only when hanging around waiting for a spontaneous chat, but also during engaging chats themselves. There have been several times where I've been watching a very interesting exchange, when suddenly my screen blanks and I have to reload. Of course, I then miss the real juicy parts!

I think that disabling the idle timeout for more senior members is a good idea, if it can be implemented. I'm not sure what other remedies might exist, but I do hate that auto-logout feature!