Great Ways To Open Up the Table a Bit

I noticed a really great way to clear a few excess players off the table in the last few days! Simply cough a bit and casually announce,"Gee, ever since I got back from CanCun the other day I just haven't been able to shake this cough!"

Renzey

Tarzan said:
I noticed a really great way to clear a few excess players off the table in the last few days! Simply cough a bit and casually announce,"Gee, ever since I got back from CanCun the other day I just haven't been able to shake this cough!"
There are many other legitimate ways to trim down the table when you want to.

Just double down with 12 against a 2 for 1/10th of your bet.
When you have 16 vs. 10, ask your neighbor, "Did I hit this last time or stay? I always try to alternate with my 16's".
Take Insurance on your next stiff for 1/10th of your bet, remarking, "Of course! You gotta Insure a 13."
Double down with 16 vs. 7 for a ridiculously small sum, then tip the dealer the extra part if you win the hand.
When you've got 20 vs. a 4, 5 or 6, pause, and feign splitting before "coming to your senses". If you've read your neighbor for a "sacred flow" type player, ask if he wants to go partners on the split. Although he actually should, he'll be too terrified of corrupting the shoe. Then you can back off.
Keep going back and forth from playing one box -- to two boxes -- to one box.
Double A/8 against a 5 or 6, even at a neutral count.
Be sure to split 2/2, 3/3 and 7/7 vs. 8.
Be animated so as to appear financially suicidal.

Anybody who can sit there through all of these is probably crazier than you look.

Last edited:

peaegg

Renzey said:

When you have 16 vs. 10, ask your neighbor, "Did I hit this last time or stay? I always try to alternate with my 16's".
Take Insurance on your next stiff for 1/10th of your bet, remarking, "Of course! You gotta Insure a 13."
Double down with 16 vs. 7 for a ridiculously small sum, then tip the dealer the extra part if you win the hand.
When you've got 20 vs. a 4, 5 or 6, pause, and feign splitting before "coming to your senses". If you've read your neighbor for a "sacred flow" type player, ask if he wants to go partners on the split. Although he actually should, he'll be too terrified of corrupting the shoe. Then you can back off.

Anybody who can sit there through all of these is probably crazier than you look.
Nice collections of cover plays. I will have to try some of them.

Blue Efficacy

My favorites are splitting 10's of course, and hitting 12 v 5-6 in negative counts, even if the index says no. Once at a 4 deck table, I busted my 12 at third base, and the dealer made 21. Literally, the whole table stormed off. A ploppy who was annoying me to no end with betting advice (was telling me unrelentingly to keep parlaying my wins as the count was absurdly low but I had positive variance) had a large bet out. I feel bad for admitting this but I enjoyed seeing him lose and storm off.

Of course, 16 v 10 can be enough for some people. The count was positive, I waved it off, the other guy at my table asked me if i was going to stand on my 16s all night. I said, "it depends on the flow of the cards." He left right after that, leading to a home run heads up shoe.

Getting other players to leave can be very rewarding.

EasyRhino

Wow I do most of those things already.

Renzey said:
I totally wish it was possible to hug someone with the Internet, because that is brilliant.

ohbehave

Renzey said:

I had to insure a 13 today with a max bet out. Ironically, it paid off. I thought one guy at the table was going to fall off his chair.:laugh:

I just said I felt it and with a big bet out had to do it.

moo321

jack said:
Just play your hands correctly.

Save your best acts/one liners for positive counts
Wait, what's wrong with doubling 12 v. 2 for a dollar? These are all really cheap cover plays.

SleightOfHand

moo321 said:
Wait, what's wrong with doubling 12 v. 2 for a dollar? These are all really cheap cover plays.
How many ploppies actually double 12 for less? Seems like it could be somewhat suspicious if the PB knew about the low cost of this cover

Renzey said:

Fred - I think that we were at the same table at Binions a couple of times in '05... was that YOU doubling for less on 16v7? I did it too. If you were whom I am thinking of, you were a fixture there for a few days and they all loved you. zg

jack.jackson

moo321 said:

SleightOfHand said:
How many ploppies actually double 12 for less? Seems like it could be somewhat suspicious if the PB knew about the low cost of this cover

I wonder what KOLAN would have to say about this:joker:

Last edited:

Renzey

zengrifter said:
Fred - I think we were at the same table at Binions a couple of times in '05... was that YOU doubling for less on 16v7? I did it too. If you were whom I am thinking of, you were a fixture there for a few days and they all loved you. zg
ZG,
Sorry, that wasn't me. Wasn't in Vegas in '05.

Renzey

SleightOfHand said:
I see lots of ploppies double for less with wierd hands -- with 10/2 vs. 2, with 10/2 vs. 7, with with 4/3 vs. 6, with 4/4 vs. 4, (so that they won't have to go for the full amount by splitting) etc. The other day at a blackjack chip table, a man bet $1200, was dealt 3/2 vs. 5 and doubled for an extra $500. The best possible hand he could've made was 16, and he gave up the right to hit again if he caught a 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 -- all for the chance to win an extra 40% of his bet if the dealer busts.

Last edited: