Have you ever bought a player's seat?

21forme

I was backcounting a Sp21 table the other day and the count skyrocketed. Unfortunately the table filled up while I was backcounting. I was tempted to make an offer for a seat, but a PC was nearby and I thought it would be too suspicious.

Has anyone here done such a thing? What kind of response did you get?

la_dee_daa

If you really want to get the seat just try to "make" a player leave his seat. try to scare him off by stroking his leg or something :laugh:

:cow:

moo321

la_dee_daa said:
If you really want to get the seat just try to "make" a player leave his seat. try to scare him off by stroking his leg or something :laugh:

Hmm...you could fart loudly, belch on people. Start coughing and say: "man, my tuberculosis is acting up!"

la_dee_daa

moo321 said:
Hmm...you could fart loudly, belch on people. Start coughing and say: "man, my tuberculosis is acting up!"
you could spill some of a drink on them to acting tipsey and all.

just being as rude as possible could easily clear a few seats with no cost of EV!!!

Watching one of those "breaking vegas" things or "worlds greatest gamlbing scams" i think there was this group of ace steerers back in the day of hand cut double deck who would do stuff like this to clear the table.

Kasi

21forme said:
I was backcounting a Sp21 table the other day and the count skyrocketed. Unfortunately the table filled up while I was backcounting. I was tempted to make an offer for a seat, but a PC was nearby and I thought it would be too suspicious.Has anyone here done such a thing? What kind of response did you get?
Never have lol but back-counting might not be increasing win rate by that much anyway compared to a min bet in disadvantageous counts. I guess it depends on that ratio of avg advantage bet to min bet. I mean if a table min is about what your first advantageous bet would be, maybe then wait for a guy to play and BC him.

Ultimately best is play solo lol. But you know that lol. Even playing-all with 1 or 2 other players would probably be better.

How's it going for you, if you don't mind me asking?

21forme

Kasi said:
How's it going for you, if you don't mind me asking?
Going well. I'm still playing mostly BJ, but I've played some Sp21 my last 6 sessions. I have 4 wins, 1 loss, and 1 break even, and am up about $6K. I have been doing some play-all, but I usually sit out hands with a count of -4 or lower, rather than min betting.

callipygian

I've never paid someone for their seat, but I've purchased hands off of people. There was this guy who refused to double, and I bought his hard 11 vs. dealer 6 for half a bet. After I won it, he seemed a little pissed (at himself) so the next time I offered to double for him and split the winnings. He turned me down once, accepted once, and then went broke.

Too bad I can't play next to people like that more often.

EasyRhino

callipygian said:
There was this guy who refused to double, and I bought his hard 11 vs. dealer 6 for half a bet.
That sounds expensive, unless you got to keep his ENTIRE bet that was out on the table, in addition to your own double.

But that would be kind of like him surrendering.

callipygian

EasyRhino said:
That sounds expensive, unless you got to keep his ENTIRE bet that was out on the table, in addition to your own double.

But that would be kind of like him surrendering.
No, no, I bought out his entire hand for $15 and kept all the winnings and the bets. So he made $5 (-$10 wagered, +$15 from me), I made $15 (-$15 to him, +$10 from his original wager, -$10 my double, +$20 winnings).

It is expensive, but still profitable. The EV on doubling H11vD6 is over +0.6, and I paid him +0.5.

Did I totally screw this up? I'm pretty sure I'm a winner on this deal and I've always rationalized it as such. If I screwed it up, I'll blame the fact that it was a spur-of-the-moment decision.

EasyRhino

callipygian said:
No, no, I bought out his entire hand for $15 and kept all the winnings and the bets. So he made $5 (-$10 wagered, +$15 from me), I made $15 (-$15 to him, +$10 from his original wager, -$10 my double, +$20 winnings).

It is expensive, but still profitable. The EV on doubling H11vD6 is over +0.6, and I paid him +0.5.
Okay, let's see, that edge on doubling 11v6 being 0.6 is expressed in terms of the original bet ($10).

So, if it was your hand to start with, you'd be risking $20 with an expected win of $6.

The net purchase price of buying his hand was $5. So you spent $5 to get an EV of $6 while, while risking substantially more money than the ploppy, who got a sure-fire edge of 0.5 on that hand.

Sounds like a pretty good idea for both of you. Maybe a little better for him.

Kasi

21forme said:
Going well. I'm still playing mostly BJ, but I've played some Sp21 my last 6 sessions. I have 4 wins, 1 loss, and 1 break even, and am up about $6K. I have been doing some play-all, but I usually sit out hands with a count of -4 or lower, rather than min betting.
Thanks for the update - you must be doing really well at BJ lol.

Kasi

EasyRhino said:
Sounds like a pretty good idea for both of you. Maybe a little better for him.
Wouldn't the EV of hitting vs doubling be exactly one-half since either way you're only going to take one card? So he'll make .3 on each hand if he doubles and .3 on one hand if he doesn't. Like you said lol.

So the first guy picked up a half-unit for free, for not even playing, he did get his original $10 bet back and $5 more (am I thinking straight?) and can now play another hour and a half for free. He's almost playing a dead-even game now.

The other guy might be picking up an extra penny of EV every few hours on a $10 bet? Maybe?

Am I nuts thinking the first guy will have lost less 100,000 $10 hands later if the 2nd guy bought every 11 vs 6? Good chance lol - it's an early vodka and Red Bull night lol. But I'm meeting EV, all according to the "plan" lol.

And I'm sticking with my plan :grin: