How to Win More Blackjack Tournaments, by Kenneth Smith

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
I'm proud to announce today the immediate availability of my new E-book:

(Dead link: http://store.esellerate.net/deepnet/kensmithebook) _
_

Priced at just $14.95, this new E-book is packed with tournament tips to extend your game to the next level.

Of particular interest are these brand-new articles in this collection:
  • The Magic Numbers You Should Know for Every Tournament
  • The Return of the "Rule of 2": A new use for an old friend.
  • How Position Affects Micro-Leads: A topic I've never seen discussed before.
These three items are exclusively available in the new E-book, and have never before appeared in print. I think you'll find that these items alone are easily worth the price of the E-book.

In addition, Henry Tamburin and I chose some of my best columns from Blackjack Insider from the past few years to re-edit and professionally typeset for the E-book. In all, you get 25 articles of in-depth tournament advice.

(Dead link: http://store.esellerate.net/deepnet/kensmithebook) _Buy your copy of "How to Win More Blackjack Tournaments" today_.

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, there's a fair amount of information here that would be useful to a tournament novice, as well as plenty for more experienced players.

jack.jackson

KenSmith said:
Yes, there's a fair amount of information here that would be useful to a tournament novice, as well as plenty for more experienced players.
Just recently have i taken a interest in tournament blackjack. I believe me, and others alike, are intimidated by the fact that we dont know how to play. Therefore, i believe some people avoid the game in fear of being emberassed by others, from not knowing what theyre doing. I myself would be the first to admit this.

Until one day, i found enough courage to play in a online tourney. To my surprise, not only was it funner than i thought, it was easier as well. Before i knew it, i was hooked and shortly after that, i won my first tourney. I beat out 67 people.

Now i find myself playing everyday and winning more and more often. I believe tournament blackjack is here to stay,and must say, the game itself gets more popular each and everyday.

So thanks again ken, and please dont take it personally when i eliminate you in the UBT at the final table:)

So beware, ill see you there!

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
I look forward to it! I'm glad you've discovered how fun these events are. I think that playing tournament blackjack well is among the most challenging feats in all of gambling.

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know the answer to that. It depends on the sales of the E-book. I had one of my proofreading copies printed and bound at Kinko's and it turned out great. The cost was around $15. (If you choose to do that, you will likely need to get an email from the publisher telling Kinko's it's OK to print, but that won't be a problem.)

I've already purchased my copy! I havn't read it yet though, so I can't give a review.

I was once very interested in tournaments. There are none locally, so I played on the internet. I started out by reading Ken's strategies on his blackjack version of this site. I had really great initial results. I always did well and never looked back. Then the whole online gambling thing happened and I pulled out. It was unfortunate because I was honing my skills, having fun, and making money.

With the release of this new e-book, which I am sure is very good, I would like to put good use to it. The only way for me to do that right now is to play online. Are there any good places to play for a US customer right now? I used to play at UltimateBet, and I think they still allow US customers, but I am not 100% sure about that.

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, UltimateBet is still available to US customers, as is their skin at Bet21.
Tournaments are also available at Blackjack21.com. Non-US players can also compete at GameAccount.com.

KenSmith said:
Yes, UltimateBet is still available to US customers, as is their skin at Bet21.
Tournaments are also available at Blackjack21.com. Non-US players can also compete at GameAccount.com.
Is there any risk at all about playing there? If a US player plays there, is the player breaking the law, or is the site breaking the law by allowing it? Do you still play at both of those?

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
As a player in most states, you are not breaking the law by playing.
The sites themselves may or may not be breaking the law, depending on your interpretation of the new UIGEA law. However, there's no doubt that the Justice Department's opinion is that the sites that continue to serve the US are breaking the law.

Whether their opinion is truly supported by force of law is still uncertain.

More on Ken's e-Book. zg
--------------​

How to Win More Blackjack Tournaments contains three sections: Tournament Basics, Powerful Strategies, and Real Situations. Some of the topics covered in the book include: Summary of different tournament formats​
    • Bet sizing basics
    • The importance of position in tournament play
    • Powerful Rule of 2, 4, and 5
    • Return of the Rule of 2 (NEW!)
    • How to recognize and play a lock
    • How to recognize and play a free hit
    • How to handle pair splitting
    • When it's best to double for less
    • Splitting your bankroll
    • The magic numbers you should know for each tournament (NEW!)
    • Ten ways to avoid elimination in elimination tournaments
    • How position affects micro leads (NEW!)
To read the first 16 pages of the professionally produced e-book, click below:
http://www.bjinsider.com/kensmith_ebook_vol01_sample.pdf

mdlbj

I remember hearing quite a bit of stuff about tournament play in Washington, but I did not realize that they were having such a impact on the Format. Looks like a great read Ken. Next trip to Vegas, I will hunt down a tourny and try it out.

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Washington state is a real hotbed of tournament activity right now, with all the small card rooms using them as promotions to bring in players. I have friends there who say they are playing 10 to 12 events a week. Small buy-ins, and first place prizes from $500 to $2000 generally.

jack.jackson

KenSmith said:
Washington state is a real hotbed of tournament activity right now, with all the small card rooms using them as promotions to bring in players. I have friends there who say they are playing 10 to 12 events a week. Small buy-ins, and first place prizes from $500 to $2000 generally.

Hey Ken
Are all tournament games, multiple decks??

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Most, but not all.
For example, the Imperial Palace often has an event where they deal single deck, down to the last card! When they run out of cards mid-hand, they shuffle the discards and keep going. Now that's a fun event.

jack said:
Hey Ken
Are all tournament games, multiple decks??

jack.jackson

KenSmith said:
Most, but not all.
For example, the Imperial Palace often has an event where they deal single deck, down to the last card! When they run out of cards mid-hand, they shuffle the discards and keep going. Now that's a fun event.
Oh wow, I suppose you implement your wong-halves, based on this type of game? This type of game would make counting somewhat 'more' effective, correct?

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, unlike my plan in most tournaments, I find it quite useful to count in that situation. In normal tournaments, I rarely count, since I think it is more important to focus my attention on bankrolls.

mdlbj

KenSmith said:
There are a few posters here that may take head of your book and play in some tourneys. I am now residing on the east coast and am slightly regretting the move, Wish I would have known of the tournament play in Washington sooner.