I 18?

Hey guys, just from glimpseing at the I 18 charts, I mean, some of those plays if not almost all of them are pretty attention grabbing.. I was just wondering, how are some of the ways some of you have pulled off and carried out these plays without gaining too much heat on yourself?

bandit

sagefr0g

BlackBandit said:
Hey guys, just from glimpseing at the I 18 charts, I mean, some of those plays if not almost all of them are pretty attention grabbing.. I was just wondering, how are some of the ways some of you have pulled off and carried out these plays without gaining too much heat on yourself?

bandit
lol just do it for the most part. no big deal.
maybe the one where you insure a 16vA lose the insurance and then take late surrender is a bit fancy. but hey it's fun. :rolleyes:

bj bob

Some examples?

BlackBandit said:

bandit
I really don't know if any of those I-18 plays are that eye opening. I, for one hit 14 v. 4 and 15 v. 2 when the count dictates without batting an eye, plus I can still sleep at night. The I-18 are pretty mild departures and were developed because of their common frequency.
The "departures" used by clueless ploppies are the ones that grab my attention, e.g. split 7,7 v. Q (but not K!). Go figure that one!

callipygian

BlackBandit said:
I was just wondering, how are some of the ways some of you have pulled off and carried out these plays without gaining too much heat on yourself?
I usually push an equal bet into the betting circle to signal for double down instead of jumping up and down and yelling, "HIT IT, B***H, HIT IT NOW, COME ON TEN, COME ON COME ON BIG TEN, WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!"

:p

The only heat-inducing plays on the I18 is splitting tens and doubling on soft 19. Everything else is stuff that people do often enough so as not to be suspicious when you do it. If the dealer asks you if you really want to stand on hard 16, just say something vague, like, "I've been hitting it all day, I'm going to try standing this time."

If you're playing a H17 game, chances are the dealer has already made some remark about doubling soft 19 vs. dealer 6 already (which is BS in H17). So that's not usually a problem. Splitting 10's is always suspicious, and I never do it, except for the one time I did it :grin:, but that was because I was leaving Vegas in an hour anyway.

Yeah.. well splitting 10's and the 7's on a face card are the only real things that are obvious I suppose. Maybe just say screw it and only split 10's on a high count right before you bounce? :eyepatch:

bandit

Mimosine

bj bob said:
I really don't know if any of those I-18 plays are that eye opening. I, for one hit 14 v. 4 and 15 v. 2 when the count dictates without batting an eye, plus I can still sleep at night. The I-18 are pretty mild departures and were developed because of their common frequency.
The "departures" used by clueless ploppies are the ones that grab my attention, e.g. split 7,7 v. Q (but not K!). Go figure that one!
agreed. standing on a 16 v 10, 9 or 15 v 10, doubling 8 v 5 or 6, doubling 9 v 2 or 7, doubling 10 v 10 or A, those are things people do at the table all day long....

the I18 are indeed common and money making departures. each one only gives you a fraction of 1% of an edge. the first 15 or so are worth less combined than insurance alone. so they are close calls in each case (hence you can round your index numbers without penalty) and they are close even in the ploppies mind regardless of count. i wouldn't call any of them eye opening. doubling A,8 v 6 in a H17 game, that is more eye opening than anything short of splitting 10s. i've done the former several times, much to the disgust of fellow players and the dealer, i don't bother to say it's basic strategy. they wouldn't know what that is anyway....

bjcount

bj bob said:
I really don't know if any of those I-18 plays are that eye opening. I, for one hit 14 v. 4 and 15 v. 2 when the count dictates without batting an eye, plus I can still sleep at night.
I'm with you, I'll take the index plays all day long. Some of them clear out a table in a flaash! Like hitting a 12v5 or 12v6.:eek:

21forme

bjcount said:
I'm with you, I'll take the index plays all day long. Some of them clear out a table in a flaash! Like hitting a 12v5 or 12v6.:eek:
My most profitable index play is not playing. I'm gone from the table (or sitting out the hand at a mid shoe entry table) before I have such an opportunity.

play deviations

used properly and consistently will bring heat from the other players, that I can assure you. :(

As far as the pit, if you are good and they focus on you they will know in a short time that you are a counter and or AP....so play like a "BJ Warrior" when the situation presents itself. Heads up play is always best for *many* reasons, one being the lack of heat from other players. Indice plays are POWER plays, use them and win....GRRRrrr.:grin:

CP