Is this for me?

I've got between 75-100 hours of practice, basic memorized (with some helpful mnemonic devices if anyone's interested), and a bankroll of 1000 units roughly 250 max bets. That's right I only plan on using a bet spread of 1-4 as described here http://www.am3-radio.us/Ace5.pdf. As much as I can guess my SCORE will be near 2.1 which might not sound like a lot but is significantly more than most people make who are my age. I am concerned however, because no one seams to talk about the type of count I use which is the Revere Ace-Five. Is this not an effective count? If not why does the Wizardofodds promote it as one? Also, because my bet spread is small and the units would be with red chips, would I likely ever get heat? I am told using bet progressions works as an adequate cover, but which progressions and how do you incorporate them into the count? What should a session bankroll look like? How long should a session be? Could I play full time? I live 2 hours from AC BTW. I know there are many questions here but I appreciate the answers.

Last edited:

moo321

1. You need to spread more. 1-4 spread is only good on single deck
2. Get a better system. Red 7, Hi-lo or Ko would be good for you
3. SCORE of 2.1 means you'll earn $2.1 per hour with substantial risk

You said "people my age" are you retired or a student?

AC sucks rotten donkey balls. It's really nearly unplayable. Only way you can get by, if you must, is aggressive back-counting.

moo321 said:
1. You need to spread more. 1-4 spread is only good on single deck
2. Get a better system. Red 7, Hi-lo or Ko would be good for you
3. SCORE of 2.1 means you'll earn $2.1 per hour with substantial risk

You said "people my age" are you retired or a student?

AC sucks rotten donkey balls. It's really nearly unplayable. Only way you can get by, if you must, is aggressive back-counting.
I thoughts SCORE was in units. I live in the Northeast, aren't my options kinda limited? What makes AC so inhospitable? The 8 deck shoe? A few places offer 75-80% penetration. Is the Ace-Five really that ineffective?

kewljason

big Inner said:
I thoughts SCORE was in units. I live in the Northeast, aren't my options kinda limited? What makes AC so inhospitable? The 8 deck shoe? A few places offer 75-80% penetration. Is the Ace-Five really that ineffective?
Yes it is. It only tract 2 cards of the 13. granted they are the most important 2 cards, but you really need a system that tracks 10 value cards as well and in doing so will need more small cards to counter that, which is basically any one of the systems that moo mentioned.

AC is inhospitable, as you say because of a number of things, ranging from crappy games. yes, 8 deck, hit17, no surrender is crappy. Deep penetration can make it playable. 75% is not deep. Other problems in AC are crowded conditions meaning limited wonging and few hands per hour. Few low table limits.

With whatever count system you choose a 1-4 spread is going to turn the game about break even at best. Maybe slightly positive if you get out of some of the negative counts.

Might I suggest you read the blackjack school thread on the left of the page. Very informative for a new player.

aslan

The ace/five count is incredibly easy to keep. I could easily keep such a count on the side with a simple stack of chips. Would there be any advantage to keeping both the ace/five and a simple one level count? I can imagine there are times when the level one count would indicate a one unit bet, while the ace/five count might support a 4 or more unit bet. Isn't this useful information? I would not expect the two systems to show much correlation until getting near the end of the shoe, if then. What do you say?