New Feature Moderated Chat : Please Read

iCountNTrack

In order to have better more structured/organized guest chats, the chat room will be moderated during that time.
Whenever the chat room is moderated, all messages sent to the chat room (except messages sent by the Guest Speaker, Moderators)will have to be approved by a Moderator. If you are in a a moderated session and send a message, you will receive a message indicating that your message has been queued for verification by a moderator. When your message is approved it will be displayed in the main display.
When a moderator receives a message for verification messages will be queued up and will be displayed in the order in which they were received.

Cheers,

iCountNTrack

SleightOfHand

iCountNTrack said:
In order to have better more structured/organized guest chats, the chat room will be moderated during that time.
Whenever the chat room is moderated, all messages sent to the chat room (except messages sent by the Guest Speaker, Moderators)will have to be approved by a Moderator. If you are in a a moderated session and send a message, you will receive a message indicating that your message has been queued for verification by a moderator. When your message is approved it will be displayed in the main display.
When a moderator receives a message for verification messages will be queued up and will be displayed in the order in which they were received.

Cheers,

iCountNTrack
Oh man, this could spell disaster if there happens to be a flood of people/messages. If the messages are moderated, does that mean that the chats could be archived?

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I am planning to archive tonight's chat after editing, and I think the moderated format will help greatly with that.

Please be patient and let's see if we can make the moderation a good thing. If we have a large number of participants, then it is overwhelming for a guest when everyone is asking questions at the same time. This is an attempt to avoid that.

Let's see how it goes. It will be a learning experience for all.

Mod

iCountNTrack said:

Cheers,

iCountNTrack
In guest chats this is a good thing, basing on past experiences.

I do not like archiving, I say things I would never say if I knew they could be read later on, plus you will have fewer in the chats as members would figure they would just read the chat anytime.

Just me 2cents.

CP

sagefr0g

the thing about this chat moderation process, that i guess the software conducts and the moderator then has to read the chatters post is that it seems rather convoluted.

seems as if it might take some of the fun out of the experience and entail waiting time, with goofy computer messages popping up and all.
seems as if it's gonna end up like waiting in line at the grocery store and there is nothing more that i hate than that, lol.

i'd hate to see this moderation experiment go down on our chat Saturday and have it go haywire, or turn out boring and irritating.

i kind of like the 'wild west' way our chats have been in the past.

probably, maybe i hope i'm wrong and the chat moderation process will go smooth and flawless. i guess, i'd just like to see a dry run and be able to comment on the experience before seeing it potentially mess up what could have been an enjoyable experience.

also i pretty much agree with what CP posted, archiving may cut down on how candid our chats are and on the number of participants.

RJT

creeping panther said:
you will have fewer in the chats as members would figure they would just read the chat anytime.

CP
Not all of us are in a timezone that's convenient to make the chats.

RJT.

nightspirit

Unfortunately I had to pass on the last chat because I live in another time zone too. (I'm looking forward to the archive! :)) Can someone who attended the AF chat say how the new feature worked? Would also be nice to hear some statements from the viewpoint of the moderator.

iCountNTrack

Canceler said:
One serious drawback of moderated chats is that if the moderator decides to leave, the rest of us are just stuck. :(
Hmmm something weird happened, i made Sage a mod but for some reason it didnt work for him.

21forme

The moderation of chat could slow things down quite a bit. How about trying it in live mode first and then switching (or dumping any troublemakers) if necessary?

rukus

creeping panther said:
In guest chats this is a good thing, basing on past experiences.

I do not like archiving, I say things I would never say if I knew they could be read later on, plus you will have fewer in the chats as members would figure they would just read the chat anytime.

Just me 2cents.

CP
agree here. i guess the balance is to have certain chats archived (like moderated ones with a few "special" guests). but in general i am against archiving live chats as some things may slip out from someone and they cannot go back and hit edit or delete as they may on a post.

just my 2 cents added to CPs

sagefr0g

iCountNTrack said:
Hmmm something weird happened, i made Sage a mod but for some reason it didnt work for him.
well, it was at least fortunate that this happened after our guest logged off.

what ever, it could have just been that i didn't understand how to properly pass the posts on so that others could see them.
i could see everyone posting, but i didn't see any 'mechanism' that i could use to approve or pass their post so that others could see them.:confused::whip:

it is also unfortunate that this particular chat wasn't archived, as Dylan wanted the text as part of his research.
if it does prove possible to retrieve the text please let me know so that it can be passed on to him.

Last edited:
Wise Won

sagefr0g said:
well, it was at least fortunate that this happened after our guest logged off.

what ever, it could have just been that i didn't understand how to properly pass the posts on so that others could see them.
i could see everyone posting, but i didn't see any 'mechanism' that i could use to approve or pass their post so that others could see them.:confused::whip:

it is also unfortunate that this particular chat wasn't archived, as Dylan wanted the text as part of his research.
if it does prove possible to retrieve the text please let me know so that it can be passed on to him.
Sage, you did a great job, I am impressed and proud of you:1st:

CP

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
sagefr0g said:
I have the transcript, and will look at what needs to be done for editing. I'll get it to you fr0g.