KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
An avatar is a small (up to 80x80) image that can be attached to your username. It will display next to your username on each message. Think of it as your own personal icon.

Avatars are enabled here, but I have not installed any for users to choose from. I believe you should be able to upload a custom avatar however. If you try to do so and have trouble, let me know what messages you get and I'll take a look.

To get to the avatar upload form, choose 'User CP' at the top of the screen, and then 'Edit Avatar'.

Jeff Dubya

Hi Ken,

I asked because I host a large vBulletin forum for scuba divers, and the option to upload custom avatars seems to be disabled. Check your forum permissions or your usergroup permissions.

Some sites don't like them due to bandwidth issues, didn't know if that was the case here.

Based on your post totals, I am guessing (forgive me if I am wrong) that you have not been using vBulletin that long. It is GREAT software, probably the best available for forums, but SO complicated. You should really create a second account for yourself with user-level permissions, so you can see what everyone else does! :) Sometimes it's a lot different from what an admin can see. So, you are left sitting there scratching your head thinking "what kind of a moron is this guy, the add custom avatar screen is... right... THERE!" :)

Jeff Dubya

If all is correct with those settings, you should also check to see if a user needs a minimum amount of posts before they can upload an avatar. That's the way it is on my site.

Hehe, then stick this thread so you don't answer stupid avatar questions for the next 2 years... ;)

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, thanks for your help. Earlier today I checked the Avatar settings, but I didn't look under Usergroup Permissions. I just enabled custom avatars for all Registered Users. My test account with zero posts now has the upload form available.

Thanks for your assistance! I'm off to make the same change at https://www.blackjacktournaments.com/

Jeff Dubya

Cool. I'm not a vbulletin super-genius, but I know just enough to be dangerous. (Kind of like my blackjack game.)

Tell you what, keep helping me with my game and I will try to answer any vB questions you might have. Deal? :)