Favorite Restaurants, Las Vegas Strip

callipygian

I'd like to know if anyone has any particular favorite restaurants on the Strip. Price is not a big consideration on either end, but I am looking for nice dinners that aren't mind-bogglingly expensive, so let's set a bottom at $20/entree and a ceiling at $80/entree. Style of food is not a consideration, aside from the fact that it can't be vegetarian. Atmosphere is generally irrelevant, but it can't be a place that would be intolerant of 5-10 non-sober guys who talk loudly.

Prime used to be our go-to place; its quality has declined in the past few years. We tried Mixx and db Brasserie last year; both of those were okay.

shadroch

Maggianos in the Fashion Mall. Very good East Coast sytle Italian food served family style. Google them for their website,they almost always are offering web specials.
As an example, you can currently buy a $120 gift card for $100. They also send you a coupon for a free appetizer for your email.

Last edited:

Jeff Dubya

Shadroch... YOU ARE SO RIGHT! Maggianos is the bomb.

I also enjoy PF Changs at PH, Ballys Steakhouse is good, the cafes at the Wynn and Bellagio are both good, Noodles at Bellagio and if you're looking for some blue collar cuisine, Toby Keiths at Harrahs is pretty good.

I did not care for Delmonicos at Venetian.

I still love The Cellar at 4 queens, but that's not on the strip...

rukus

Jeff Dubya said:
Shadroch... YOU ARE SO RIGHT! Maggianos is the bomb.

I also enjoy PF Changs at PH, Ballys Steakhouse is good, the cafes at the Wynn and Bellagio are both good, Noodles at Bellagio and if you're looking for some blue collar cuisine, Toby Keiths at Harrahs is pretty good.

I did not care for Delmonicos at Venetian.

ditto on maggianos...

EasyRhino

Maggiano's is the same chain that's everywhere else, right?

Stripsteak, in Mbay, is at, and past, the upper end of your limit, but has really good cows.

shadroch

EasyRhino said:
Maggiano's is the same chain that's everywhere else, right?

Stripsteak, in Mbay, is at, and past, the upper end of your limit, but has really good cows.
Yes, but not all Maggianos are as good as the Vegas one. Around here, the Philly one rocks but the AC and NYC ones are clip joints. The Fashion Mall one gets my personal seal of approval. Fantastic happy hour, and a very friendly setting. A group of guys enjoying each others company over food and drinks will have great time.

callipygian

EasyRhino said:
Can you draw any comparisons to n9ne, Prime, or Delmonico?

Edit: Is the Web wrong on the price? I'm seeing that entrees are $30-$40, and that total bills are coming up $80-$120, which is actually smack in the middle of the range.

Last edited:

mdlbj

McDonalds.

callipygian said:
I'd like to know if anyone has any particular favorite restaurants on the Strip. Price is not a big consideration on either end, but I am looking for nice dinners that aren't mind-bogglingly expensive, so let's set a bottom at $20/entree and a ceiling at $80/entree. Style of food is not a consideration, aside from the fact that it can't be vegetarian. Atmosphere is generally irrelevant, but it can't be a place that would be intolerant of 5-10 non-sober guys who talk loudly.

Prime used to be our go-to place; its quality has declined in the past few years. We tried Mixx and db Brasserie last year; both of those were okay.

Jeff Dubya

callipygian said:
A couple years back my wife and I spent a LOT on food, ate at a great place nearly every night. One of the places we hit was Delmonico's because I am a big Emeril Lagasse fan.

We didn't care for it much. The steak was just OK. Nothing special, certainly not for the price. There was NOTHING included with the steak, and the add ons were spendy, spendy. Whe I spend that kind of money for a meal (which I don't mind doing) I expect a great experience. Even our waiter was quite stuffy. Just not a good experience.

Conversely, the night before we dined at Mandalay. I don't remember the name, I think is was 357 or something like that, three numbers. Very modern decor. FREAKING DELICIOUS FOOD, excellent service. We were back six months later and it was gone. :( What a bummer. I think it's still a steak place but we haven't tried the new spot yet.

There's a place in Harrahs that makes great shrimp/crab cocktails, and has a good selection of oysters on the half shell, think its called panazzi or something like that... fun...

There was this restaurant I ducked into on a rainy night (one of the few) on the strip about 5 years ago... I think somewhere between Aladdin and MGM. It was in a little strip mall setting, top level, I was kicking it all night on the strip with no room, at a trade show and broke, and they had really good food and an amazing singer doing Sinatra tunes... I would love to know the name of that place and if they are still in business, that was among my favorite all time Vegas memories...

I still say you can't beat the Buffet at Bellagio.

Speaking of CHEAP eats, there's always Hooters too, great wings.

EasyRhino

callipygian said:

Edit: Is the Web wrong on the price? I'm seeing that entrees are $30-$40, and that total bills are coming up $80-$120, which is actually smack in the middle of the range.
I haven't been to any of those places. But, if you compare it to, say, Ruth's Chris, Morton's of Chicago, the Palm, etc, it compares favorably. Maybe slightly better (bit more adventurous with the menu).

filet mignos were 60-75 bucks w/o sides if I remember correctly. Unless you went kobe, which was stupid expensive. But that was last year, maybe the recession has halved prices?

rukus

shadroch said:
Yes, but not all Maggianos are as good as the Vegas one. Around here, the Philly one rocks but the AC and NYC ones are clip joints. The Fashion Mall one gets my personal seal of approval. Fantastic happy hour, and a very friendly setting. A group of guys enjoying each others company over food and drinks will have great time.
agree with the roch here. vegas and boston are the two maggianos that i personally recommend.

Billy C1

Jeff Dubya said:
Anybody know if "John" is still the wine steward at Hugo's Cellar? This was easily my favorite downtown place but the last 3-4 years, I haven't made it off the strip.
Canal Street is reasonable and good (Orleans) and so is TJ's Steakhouse (LV Hilton).
If you like Italian, there's a little place called Battista's Hole in the Wall (near Bellagio) that is very reasonable and good. Autographed pictures of every celebrity that's ever been in Vegas, I think!

Billy C1

FLASH1296

My vote

PF Changs is bargain-priced for pretty good Chinese Food.

The "sliders" and "pot stickers" in the Coffee Shop at Planet Hollywood are very fine, as is everything there.

being trespassed there last year, I lost access to what I hold to be the BEST Coffee Shop on the Strip.

I apologize for being unable to recall the name of PH's coffee shop, but I think that is called "The Daily Planet" or some such.

ekimlacks

My favorite

About a year ago my now wife and I decided to stop by Vegas before I went home to California for pre-deployment leave. She wanted to go to a fancy restaurant and we both decided on Alize. I hadn't been to a nice restaruant before this, so I was worried that jeans and a hoodie were not acceptable. So, I decided to dress up in my blues and hit the town (which was brilliant because I didn't have to pay for a single drink after the dinner). Service was excellent, we had anywhere from 3 to 6 waiters at our beck and call. View was nice when the sun was setting(I'll attach photos below). Last but not least the food was excellent, my wife had the filet min jon and I had the chicken. Great place if you're looking for a romantic place to dine. I'm sorry I don't really have any input on where 5 to 10 loud drunk guys could go about eating though. I'm sure if you're all piss drunk you won't care too much about where you go.

(Sorry for the picture quality)

(Dead link: http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mandispictures106gl7.jpg) _
_

(Dead link: http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mandispictures105gm1.jpg) _
_

(Dead link: http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mandispictures104fr9.jpg) _
_

nottooshabby

FLASH1296 said:
PF Changs is bargain-priced for pretty good Chinese Food.

The "sliders" and "pot stickers" in the Coffee Shop at Planet Hollywood are very fine, as is everything there.

being trespassed there last year, I lost access to what I hold to be the BEST Coffee Shop on the Strip.

I apologize for being unable to recall the name of PH's coffee shop, but I think that is called "The Daily Planet" or some such.
Close, it's "Planet Dailies" . . . agree with you about the Kobe sliders and pot stickers there, too!

callipygian

ekimlacks said:
I hadn't been to a nice restaruant before this, so I was worried that jeans and a hoodie were not acceptable.
From my experience, dress codes are not enforced. At all. Prime informed us that jackets and ties were required and that sneakers were absolutely forbidden; we dressed up but we saw people being seated in jeans and T-shirt.

ekimlacks said:
I'm sure if you're all piss drunk you won't care too much about where you go.
Very rarely is anyone piss drunk. But usually not everyone is completely sober. :)

Last year two people went on a huge 3-card poker tear in the afternoon, and celebrated their newfound wealth by getting plastered right before dinner. They started ordering Red Bull & vodkas at the restaurant (Mixx), and we tipped the waiter $20 to omit the vodka. For the rest of the evening, they kept remarking how they had polished off n drinks and were barely feeling it. We let them start drinking again during dessert, I believe.

ChefJJ

callipygian said:
They started ordering Red Bull & vodkas at the restaurant (Mixx), and we tipped the waiter $20 to omit the vodka. For the rest of the evening, they kept remarking how they had polished off n drinks and were barely feeling it. We let them start drinking again during dessert, I believe.
That's just wrong!!! :laugh:

good luck